Purple Martins

  • Alan W. Knothe
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 30, 2004
      I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I had Purple Martins at the County Ponds today.
      Alan

    • dsjue@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 13 , Feb 1, 2005
        My co-worker, David LaHart, who lives down at Ochlockonee Bay,
        reports that he saw his first Purple Martin of the season on Sunday,
        January 30th, at his Purple Martin House bordering the Ochlockonee
        River.

        Dean Jue
      • Larry LeClaire
        Message 3 of 13 , Feb 14, 2005
          Three Purple Martins calling and landing on the Martin house this evening. First of the year for me, I love that sound! Spring is here. Larry LeClaire over in Walton County.

        • dendroicagc
          Message 4 of 13 , Feb 3, 2006
            There were three Purple Martins flying over the lawn at Tall Timbers
            this afternoon. Time to clean and/or put up the houses if you haven't
            already.
            -Clark Jones
          • Pam Flynn
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 21, 2006
              If anyone wants an 'up close and personal' with purple martins, stop by
              Espositos on Capital Circle NE and check out their martin house in the
              parking lot. It is jammed full of dwellers..
              Pam Flynn
              Tallahassee
            • limeybirder@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 22, 2006
                The Miccosukee Greenway also has good numbers in their houses as well as Springhill STP and J R Alford Greenway.

                Andy Wraithmell

                From: Pam Flynn <pfly57@...>

                > If anyone wants an 'up close and personal' with purple martins, stop by
                > Espositos on Capital Circle NE and check out their martin house in the
                > parking lot. It is jammed full of dwellers..
                > Pam Flynn
                > Tallahassee
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • speedyg
                Message 7 of 13 , Feb 17, 2007
                  Had my FOTS Purple Martins over the "goose pond" at US 319 and Lonnie Raker
                  Ln in Wakulla County yesterday, and more today at Koon Lake (on the DeLorme
                  as Thompson's Pond?) southeast of Mayo.

                  -S.P.McCool
                  Wakulla County, Florida, USA
                  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
                  And I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
                • austrina1@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 13 , Feb 17, 2007
                    Two purple martins today at Crowder Road landing (L. Jackson).

                    r. cassidy

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 18, 2007
                      We had our two best birds of this year yesterday. While counting birds for GBBC a merlin showed up and started diving on our birds. We watched the merlin work and perch for 15-20 minutes. It would perch on the lotus stems just 1-2 feet off of the water in between chasing the incredibly dense flocks of tree swallows. After it disappeared to the south we went to look for it again, while cutting through dense herbaceous vegetation we jumped a single sparrow that turned out to be a grasshopper sparrow. We got very clear and close looks at both birds. The pointed wings, ventral white tail banding, indistinct teardrop, and white line above the eye plus behavior were diagnostic for the merlin. We were on a point of land on the dry lake bottom lakeward 90 yards+ of the boardwalk at the Turnbull/Vause county park.

                      We also birded several other areas including Ochlockonee River WMA and Bottoms Road at the NWR. Other good birds included:

                      greater yellow legs
                      purple martins
                      wilson's snipe 3
                      horned grebes 9

                      The short eared owl and long-tailed duck were notably absent. We did see several Clapper Rails and we watched a very small rail swim a narrow ditch in front of us. I'm taking my rail tapes back to the area to try to figure out the rail.

                      Rodney, Lydia and crew

                    • Robert Lengacher
                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 11, 2008
                        Just spotted my FOTS Purple Martins (5) over the preschool (Creative
                        Preschool?) here in Southwood.

                        On Saturday I got out in the late afternoon on Tallahassee's southside.
                        Highlights were nearly 50 Ruddy Ducks at Lake Elberta park with goodly
                        numbers of Ring-necked Ducks and Northern Shovelers. I did have a
                        Yellow-throated Warbler at RWW along with other usual suspects.

                        Keep looking up!

                        Rob Lengacher

                      • brooksrobert90
                        Message 11 of 13 , May 4 6:59 AM
                          I observed Purple martins for the first time in what appeared to be foraging on the sides of a dead pine tree similar to a woodpecker at Alligator point this morning. Is this common?

                          R Brooks
                          Alligator Point
                        • RickLWest@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 8 8:06 AM
                            Thanks, Scott.

                            I found the problem -- as I typed in "nfl" _nflbirds-owner@yahoogroups.com_
                            (mailto:nflbirds-owner@yahoogroups.com) popped up. I did not recognize
                            the problem.
                            the nflbirds-owner address had been "autoadded" to my address list.
                            It is now out of my address book.

                            Sorry for the problem.
                            Thanks for running nflbirds!

                            Rick