Bronzed Cowbird & Other Goodies - FWB

  • Alan W. Knothe
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 2, 2004
      Hi Birders,
      I took my Friday bird class out today to the Landfill and holding ponds here in Ft. Walton Bch. The Landfill Sparrow Trail has been especially slow lately. We managed only six species of sparrows: Chipping, Field, Vesper, Savannah, Song and White-throated. Ducks were also lower in numbers (7 species). We did have the Canvasback in the Landfill pond. Two Bald Eagles were reeking havoc on the ducks that were at the pond. The two Eared Grebes were still present in the City Holding Pond. The biggest treat of the day, however, was a BRONZED COWBIRD at the County Holding Ponds. In the poor light we had to study the bird for quite some time before we finally saw the red eye. This was a new Florida bird for me:-)
      Good Luck & Good Birding,
      Alan W. Knothe,
      The Birdman,
      Ft. Walton Bch., FL