White Geese /Ross's

  • Michael Hill
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 21, 2004
      At 1500 today, I spied 3 white geese in the far distance (300 yds) at Cross Creek near I-10 and Mahan Drive. By parking near the bridge on Mahan, across from the restaurant and looking north into the creek marsh, one can see these birds among several Canada Geese. Perhaps someone with a spotting scope can discern their identity. ( Be sure to check out the water buffalo in the pasture!) With my binoculars, they appeared to be the same Ross's geese we saw at the Pedrick Road area during the past few days.
      At Pedrick, only Canada Geese were observed. These Pedrick ponds are only about a mile and a half west of this location.
      Michael Hill

    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 25, 2004
        NFLBirders,

        Found the ROSS'S GEESE in Tallahassee today, finally. Three birds,
        unquestionably Ross's, feeding on the country club's greens with the feral
        Canada Geese, up near the road. Got excellent looks for Lifer #299. :-)

        The birds were on the opposite side of US-90 from where they were previously
        reported, which is the Cross Creek area just on the west side of the I-10
        interchange.

        Good Birding,
        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
        http://www.swamphen.net/
        USDA Zone 8B - Sunset Zone 28 - Heat Zone 9
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2004
          NFLBirders,

          Here's an update on the "Florida Year List". As of February 1, 274 of the
          486 species on the Florida list have been reported, plus two new species.

          See the list at:
          http://www.swamphen.net/birds/florida/2004totl.htm

          Good Birding,
          -S.P.McCool
          Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
          http://www.swamphen.net/
          USDA Zone 8B - Sunset Zone 28 - Heat Zone 9
          "Is there anything else to which you wish to direct my attention?"
          "To the curious incident of the dog in the night-time."
          "The dog did nothing in the night-time."
          "That was the curious incident."
          -Inspector Gregory and Sherlock Holmes, *Silver Blaze*
        • Swamphen
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 6, 2004
            NFLBirders,

            With the approaching storms, bird activity is way down, but still it sounds
            like spring. Three Red-shouldered Hawks are flying around screaming their
            lungs out; a Cardinal is "what-cheer!"ing back in the shrubbery, and a Pine
            Warbler has been trilling all morning.

            Spring is a'comin (and so are the storms)...