First Bird of 2004

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004

      Despite my prediction of Cardinal, I've already got two birds this morning,
      and neither is NOCA.

      First, while waiting on the birds to show up at the feeders, I heard

      "OOEEK! OOEEK! OOEEK!"

      as the local Wood Ducks stirred from their roost.

      Then, the cheerful "wheep!" of a EASTERN TOWHEE, which I quickly spotted as
      the First Feeder Bird (and first seen bird) of 2004.

      Happy New Year, Y'all!

      -S.P.McCool
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
      http://www.swamphen.net/
      USDA Zone 8B - Sunset Zone 28 - Heat Zone 9
    • Harvey Abrams
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
        There is a lovely flock of 10-15 Hooded Mergansers hanging out in the large pond on Blairstone Parkway. Excellent views at all hours. We parked on Philips Rd at the corner of Blairstone and then walked south (toward Mahan) on the nice new walkway 200 yards or so to the pond. There is easy access to the shore. Enjoy the beautiful males and females !

        Harvey and Kathy Abrams

      • Nicolas Wienders
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 17, 2005
          2 males, one female, this morning along with the usual suspects
          at Chapman Pond (Myers Park) this morning. Winter is here!
          Have a good day and put your hood on.

          nw

          --

          Nicolas Wienders (850) 644-1987 (office)
          Oceanography - OSB415 294-3542 (cell)
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
            We were caught a little off guard this afternoon to
            see 6-7 Hooded Mergansers in a dirty retention pond
            near the new Badcock building on US 129 in Live Oak,
            Suwannee County
            Alice and Joe McAlpin, Suwannee County
            joseph_asarisi2001@...

            http://mail.yahoo.com