Hooded Mergansers

  • Brenda S. Scott
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 31, 2003
      At Chapman Pond in Tallahassee, on 12-30-03, around 1 p.m., there were 7
      Hooded Mergansers, mostly male. Also, today (12-31-03) there were Hooded
      Mergansers (male and female) in one of the ponds at the Leon County
      Landfill.
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 1, 2004

        Despite my prediction of Cardinal, I've already got two birds this morning,
        and neither is NOCA.

        First, while waiting on the birds to show up at the feeders, I heard

        "OOEEK! OOEEK! OOEEK!"

        as the local Wood Ducks stirred from their roost.

        Then, the cheerful "wheep!" of a EASTERN TOWHEE, which I quickly spotted as
        the First Feeder Bird (and first seen bird) of 2004.

        Happy New Year, Y'all!

        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
        http://www.swamphen.net/
        USDA Zone 8B - Sunset Zone 28 - Heat Zone 9
      • Harvey Abrams
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 1, 2004
          There is a lovely flock of 10-15 Hooded Mergansers hanging out in the large pond on Blairstone Parkway. Excellent views at all hours. We parked on Philips Rd at the corner of Blairstone and then walked south (toward Mahan) on the nice new walkway 200 yards or so to the pond. There is easy access to the shore. Enjoy the beautiful males and females !

          Harvey and Kathy Abrams

        • Nicolas Wienders
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 17, 2005
            2 males, one female, this morning along with the usual suspects
            at Chapman Pond (Myers Park) this morning. Winter is here!
            Have a good day and put your hood on.

            nw

            --

            Nicolas Wienders (850) 644-1987 (office)
            Oceanography - OSB415 294-3542 (cell)
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 30, 2006
              We were caught a little off guard this afternoon to
              see 6-7 Hooded Mergansers in a dirty retention pond
              near the new Badcock building on US 129 in Live Oak,
              Suwannee County
              Alice and Joe McAlpin, Suwannee County
              joseph_asarisi2001@...

              http://mail.yahoo.com