Southwood + Chapman Pond [25 Dec]

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 25, 2003

      After pigging out at Barnhill's for Christmas dinner, we checked out a few
      places in Tallahassee.

      At Chapman Memorial Pond (on Merritt Drive next to Myers Park) we found the
      pond drawn halfway down. Even the folks across the street had taken their
      feeders down. Nothing here but three Killdeer and a lone mocker.

      Not much at Southwood in general, but we did find a great Red-shouldered
      Hawk perched on the batting cages behind the FSU school. Nothing in
      "Goldeneye Pond East" except a Pied-billed Grebe. Only one lone Wood Stork,
      soaring overhead (there were 17 Great Egrets in "Wood Stork Lake" at the end
      of Mulberry Park Dr).

      At "Merganser Pond", off of Biltmore Ave:
      Hooded Merganser - 30+
      Great Egret - 4
      White Ibis - 1 juvenile
      Killdeer - 2
      Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
      Mourning Dove - 27+
      Eastern Phoebe - 1
      Loggerhead Shrike - 1
      Tree Swallow - 30+
      Northern Mockingbird - 1

      Also had a great look at a juvenile NORTHERN HARRIER sitting preening in the
      field east of Biltmore at the last intersection before the gate.

      At the new Publix:
      Red-tailed Hawk - 1
      American Kestrel - 1 male
      Ring-billed Gull - 3+
      Rock Pigeon - 5
      Eastern Phoebe - 1
      Northern Mockingbird - 1 on crates on loading dock.

      Merry Christmas!-S.P.McCool
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
      http://www.swamphen.net/
      USDA Zone 8B - Sunset Zone 28 - Heat Zone 9