Tropical Kingbird YES - SMNWR Nov 17

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 17, 2001

      We found the TROPICAL KINGBIRD at Saint Marks today, at his usual site near
      the East River Pool boat ramp.

      Other birds of note at East River Pool included a COMMON SNIPE right out in
      the open on a mudflat, along with five SNOW GEESE that flushed (for no
      apparent reason) from "way back yonder" in the pool.

      Also of note was a female BUFFLEHEAD in Headquarters Pond, and a COOPER'S
      HAWK that gave a heart attack to the moorhens in the pond (Plum Orchard Pond
      I believe) behind the visitor's center.

      Complete bird list follows...
      ***
      Saint Marks NWR - November 17 2001
      A.O.U. Order
      ------------
      Pied-billed Grebe
      Brown Pelican (12+, at lighthouse)
      Double-crested Cormorant (HQ Pond only)
      Great Blue Heron
      Great Egret
      Snowy Egret
      Little Blue Heron
      Tricolored Heron
      White Ibis
      Glossy Ibis
      SNOW GOOSE (5, East River Pool)
      Mallard
      Blue-winged Teal (8, Lighthouse Pool)
      Green-winged Teal (24+, East River Pool)
      Bufflehead (1, Headquartes Pond, my FOTS)
      Hooded Merganser (1, Mounds Pool #2)
      Bald Eagle (1 adult at nest, 1 AD over Mounds Pool #2, 1 juv. at Lighthouse
      Pool)
      Northern Harrier
      COOPER'S HAWK (1, behind visitor's center)Red-tailed Hawk (1, Headquarters
      Pond)
      Common Moorhen
      American Coot (thousands!)
      Killdeer (2)
      Greater Yellowlegs (several)
      Willet (200+, Lighthouse Pool)
      Western Sandpiper (3+, Lighthouse Pool)
      Dunlin (50+, Lighthouse Pool)
      Short-billed Dowitcher (several at East River Pool, 500+ at Lighthouse Pool)
      Long-billed Dowitcher (at least 1, E.R.P.)
      Common Snipe (at least 1 at East River Pool)
      Laughing Gull (dozens, catching insects around the Lighthouse Pool area)
      Ring-billed Gull (1, Headquarters Pond)
      Royal Tern (1, at lighthouse)
      Forster's Tern (2, East River Pool)
      Belted Kingfisher
      Striped Mullet (1, see note at bottom)
      Eastern Phoebe (1, Stony Bayou Pool)
      TROPICAL KINGBIRD (1, East River Pool)
      Carolina Chickadee
      Northern Mockingbird
      Pine Warbler
      Yellow-rumped Warbler
      Common Yellowthroat (1, adult male, behind visitor's center)
      Sparrow sp. (Lighthouse Pool trail)
      Red-winged Blackbird
      Common Grackle
      Boat-tailed Grackle
      American Goldfinch

      * - before you ask, there is a legal precedent. As anyone who has walked the
      Azalea Park trail in Crawfordville knows..."THE MULLET IS A BIRD"!

      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida