Surf Scoters --- Ft. Walton Bch.

  • Alan W. Knothe
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 14, 2003
      Hi Birders, I was out today with my Birding Class, and the cold front sure brought down the birds. We started the day at the Okaloosa County Landfill on the Sparrow Trail. The best bird was found at the far end of the trail where you can step under a cable gate and then continue to the left down a road. It was here that we found a LINCOLN'S SPARROW. We also saw a Merlin perched in a dead tree across from the Snipe Field. After that, we headed to Timberlake Road/R.R. 234. (If you want to visit this area, you will need an Eglin Reservation Recreation Pass. For direction on how to get a pass visit: http://www.eglin.af.mil/newcomers/leisure.htm and scroll down to the section on Eglin Reservation.) Along this road we found some Long-billed Dowitchers and Pectoral Sandpipers. Jean Williams also found a SCISSOR-TAILED FLYCATCHER earlier in the day before coming to class. Next we headed to the Okaloosa County Holding Ponds where we saw lots of duck including a CANVASBACK and a Hooded Merganser. There were also 4 SNOW GEESE along the ponds edge. American Pipits were feeding in with the shorebirds. We finished the day with a bang at the FWB City Holding Ponds where we saw 2 EARED GREBES and 3 SURF SCOTERS. We had a total of 12 duck species for the day.

      If you would like to visit the area, Don Ware is leading a trip there in the morning (Saturday, 11/15/03) for the Choctawhatchee Audubon Society. Don is an excellent birder, and he knows the area very well. There is no charge for the bird walk. Birders will meet at 7:30 a.m. Central time at the Ft. Walton Bch. Coach and Four Restaurant on Beal Parkway/Lewis Turner Blvd. The walk will end at around 11:00.

      Good Luck & Good Birding,
      Alan W. Knothe,
      The Birdman,
      Ft. Walton Bch., FL