Mash Island Park 30/31 Jul

  • Swamphen
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31 9:05 AM

      Went down to Ochlockonee Bay (Mash Island County Park) yesterday and today.
      Yesterday was a near-total rainout, but there was a single RING-BILLED GULL
      my first of the season, and hundreds of BARN SWALLOWS.

      This morning, however, was another story. Low tide, pleasant temps, few
      bugs, and lots of birds:

      Brown Pelican (1)
      Great Egret (2)
      Clapper Rail (2, quite bold)
      SEMIPALMATED PLOVER (2-3, my FOTS)
      Willet (1)
      MARBLED GODWIT (1, FOTS)
      SANDERLING (5+, FOTS)
      SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER (several, FOTS)
      Short-billed Dowitcher (3)
      STILT SANDPIPER (1, FOTS)
      Laughing Gull (lots)
      Royal Tern (2)
      SANDWICH TERN (4+, one fed a fledgling while I watched!)
      COMMON TERN (10+)
      Forster's Tern (50+)
      Eurasian Collared-Dove (1)
      Mourning Dove (4)