Miccosukee Greenway

  • pmct32308
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 29, 2003
      Yesterday, 6/28, I walked at the Greenway from 8:30 to 11:30 a.m. and
      listed 28 species. Four species I had never identified at the
      Greenway: Blue Grosbeak, Cooper's Hawk, Mississippi Kite, and Common
      Moorhen.

      That is a total of 87 species on my personal list and an additional
      16 have been recorded by other observers.

      Maybe this spot should be considered for inclusion in the next
      edition of "Great Birding Spots in Wakulla, Leon, and Franklin
      Counties".

      Pat McTarsney
      Tallahassee
      mct@...
    • pmct32308
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 3, 2003
        What great weather. I Birded the Miccosukee Greenway yesterday from
        8:45-12:45 and listed the following in the order in which I saw them:

        Mockingbirds
        American Crows
        Great Egrets (18)
        Bald Eagle (imm)
        Red-headed Woodpeckers (6+)
        Blue Jays (dozens)
        Wood Ducks (9+)
        Blue-winged Teal(15+)
        Pied-billed Grebe
        Bluebirds
        Canada Geese
        Red-bellied Woodpeckers
        Gray Catbirds (2)
        Cardinals
        Brown Thrashers
        Scarlet Tanager (fem)
        Red-eyed Vireos
        Titmice
        Chickadees
        Carolina Wrens
        White-eyed Vireos (heard)
        Downy Woodpecker
        Empidonax Flycatchers (2)
        Palm Warblers (dozens)
        Chimney Swifts
        Loggerhead Shrike
        Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
        Turkey Vultures
        Black and White Warbler

        I also got a look at 2 birds I could not identify. I got enough of a
        look to guess--one may have been a Northern Oriole; the other a Gray-
        cheeked Thrush.
      • eliza hawkins
        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 15, 2006
          Lots of bird activity at Miccosukee Greenway. So
          much, in fact that I could not click the shutter fast
          enough! Took the following pictures Sunday morning,
          Jan 15th at Miccosukee Greenway.

          Blue Headed Vireo
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=4cfere2.jpg&.src=ph

          Flicker
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=f69cre2.jpg&.src=ph

          Snipe
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=a55dre2.jpg&.src=ph

          Ruby Crowned Kinglet
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=3043re2.jpg&.src=ph

          Hermit Thrush
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=e71cre2.jpg&.src=ph

          Eastern Phoebe
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=494bre2.jpg&.src=ph

          White Eyed Vireo
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=f710re2.jpg

          Song Sparrow (I think; please correct me if wrong)
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=98f4re2.jpg&.src=ph

          Chickadee
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=1942re2.jpg&.src=ph

          Piliated
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=c622re2.jpg&.src=ph

          Scissortailed Flycatcher
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=964dre2.jpg&.src=ph

          Orange Crowned (I think; please correct me if wrong)
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=fe8dre2.jpg&.src=ph

          Swamp Sparrow (I think; please correct me if wrong)
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=da18re2.jpg&.src=ph

          White Ibis
          http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/ehawkins/detail?.dir=/f0a2&.dnm=1e19re2.jpg&.src=ph

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Tracee Strohman
          Message 4 of 11 , May 30, 2007
            After bicycling, Fred Dietrich and I checked out the nearly dried up Welaunee Pond near the Edenfield entrance as daylight faded. We were treated to close up views of E Bluebird and E Kingbirds pairs. The water yielded Killdeer, Great Blue Heron, Great Egret, Green Heron, Little Blue Heron, and Red-winged Blackbirds.

            There was a White Ibis flyover (25?) and then we spotted a pair of Blue Grosbeaks hanging out in the same binocular view as the bluebirds and kingbirds. A hawk or owl flew a short distance in the trees and soon a Cooper's Hawk (I'm guessing) flew across the lake harassed by Common Grackles. Then we saw a Great Horned Owl perched a distance away, well attended by a persistent but ineffective red-winged blackbird.

            An Eastern Towhee vocalized over the Mockingbird din and the Purple Martins were very active with their gourds nearby.

            Earlier on our ride I heard Summer Tanager, Pine Warbler and N Parula. An exquisite outing.

            -Tracee Strohman
            TLH

          • Tracee Strohman
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 18, 2007
              Took a short bike ride from Edenfield west today. Down near the watertower they have bulldozed a new road that goes all the way east to Welaunee "Pond". The Eastern Phoebes and Palm Warblers were scattered along that road. Saw E Bluebirds, of course, and Catbirds. Heard Pine Warbler and White-eyed Vireo. There were Amer Crow and Blue Jays along the way and 6-8 N Flickers flushed as well.

              Tracee Strohman

            • Andrew Lantz
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 8, 2008
                Gail Menk and I hiked a few miles in the treacherous conditions this morning and here's what we came up with:

                Great Egret
                Canada Geese
                Wood Duck
                Black Vulture