east side of Lake Jackson

  • skalicky9
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 27, 2003
      Yesterday morning there were a number of breeders and migrants at the
      Rhoden Cove Boat Launch area and upland areas of the Overstreet Park
      south of Miller Landing Road. I had about 70 species for the morning
      with some highlights being:

      3 Yellow-breasted Chat (singing and observed)
      1 Sora (singing only) responded to playback tape
      1 Ovenbird (singing only)
      1 Sedge Wren (singing and sight)
      2 Summer Tanager
      2 Least Bittern (singing only)
      4 Caspian Tern
      ~10 Least Tern
      numerous Blue Grosbeak, Yellow-throated Vireo
      2 Indigo Bunting
      4 Palm Warbler
      ~6 Yellow-billed Cuckoo (singing only)
      1 Coopers Hawk
      4 Eastern Bluebird (female carrying food to nest in dead snag)

      In the evening I walked to the pond south of Church's Chicken near
      where the RR tracks cross Bradford Road and spotted a Loggerhead
      Shrike sitting on a nest.
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 27, 2003

        Just a minute ago I spotted a pair of Common Ground-Doves in our front yard
        that had a fledgling in tow.

        A Summer Tanager is singing as I type this, from the woods next to our
        house, he's been there most of the day and is my First-Of-The-Year.

        The other day, saw three Common Nighthawks flying over in a group, heard a
        fourth one (migrants? probably...).

        Got a Life Butterfly today, right in our front yard, a Striped Hairstreak.
        BTW I recently bought the Kaufman Butterfly guide and highly reccomend it.

        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
        http://www.swamphen.net/
      • Molly Hocking
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 28, 2003
          There's often a loggerhead shrike at that pond.
          At Rhoden Cove Landing there was a Wild Turkey today
          and the sound of bobwhites.
          By the way, a bunch of purple martens showed up about
          a week ago and occupied our gourds. Is this unusually
          late?
          -Joseph Dodge (Monday)

          --- skalicky9 <skalicky@...> wrote:
          > Yesterday morning there were a number of breeders
          > and migrants at the
          > Rhoden Cove Boat Launch area and upland areas of the
          > Overstreet Park
          > south of Miller Landing Road. I had about 70 species
          > for the morning
          > with some highlights being:
          >
          > 3 Yellow-breasted Chat (singing and observed)
          > 1 Sora (singing only) responded to playback tape
          > 1 Ovenbird (singing only)
          > 1 Sedge Wren (singing and sight)
          > 2 Summer Tanager
          > 2 Least Bittern (singing only)
          > 4 Caspian Tern
          > ~10 Least Tern
          > numerous Blue Grosbeak, Yellow-throated Vireo
          > 2 Indigo Bunting
          > 4 Palm Warbler
          > ~6 Yellow-billed Cuckoo (singing only)
          > 1 Coopers Hawk
          > 4 Eastern Bluebird (female carrying food to nest in
          > dead snag)
          >
          > In the evening I walked to the pond south of
          > Church's Chicken near
          > where the RR tracks cross Bradford Road and spotted
          > a Loggerhead
          > Shrike sitting on a nest.

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • PSB
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 28, 2003
            Here in east central Alabama we also saw purple martens last week. Don't
            know if they are nesting, but next year we will definitely have a condo
            and/or gourds.

            Eastern bluebirds babies cheeping; newly fledged cardinals.

            Pat in Valley AL.

            At 09:48 PM 4/28/2003, you wrote:
            > By the way, a bunch of purple martens showed up about
            >a week ago and occupied our gourds. Is this unusually
            >late?
          • Swamphen
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 30, 2003

              While at the Ace Hardware in Crawfordville this morning [30 Apr], I noticed
              that the NORTHERN ROUGH-WINGED SWALLOWS that I've been seeing there the past
              few weeks are showing signs of nesting nearby - they were landing in the
              parking lot near debris piles, and one flew past with a long grassy-looking
              thing in its beak.

              Yesterday [29 Apr], at the Lowe's at Capital Circle NE and Centerville Road
              in Tallahassee, a large number of LEAST TERNS were milling about the roof of
              the building, and at least 8 were foraging in the small pond just south of
              there along the east side of Capital Circle.

              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2003

                The lack of tail feathers confirmed it was someone's escaped "pet", but it
                was still rather startling to see a RING-NECKED PHEASANT crossing
                Ochlockonee Street in "downtown" Crawfordville this morning!