Burrowing Owls

  • David Dees
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 14, 2003
      I'm afraid we may have lost our pair of Burrowing Owls here in Lafayette
      County. I haven't seen them for almost a week. On the way home today I
      moved in for a closer look and spotted quite a few feathers and possibly
      some remains ~ three feet from the entrance to the burrow. The dirt at
      entrance to the burrow had been smoothed over by rain three days ago and
      there are no signs of any disturbance of the soil. I'm just glad to have
      had the opportunity to have them around the last few years.

      David Dees
      Network Manager
      Suwannee County Schools
      Live Oak, FL
      david@...
    • Melissa Forehand
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 15, 2007
        Me & a friend went camping at Topsail Preserve this weekend and Nonie
        was kind enough to get me in contact with Lenny who monitors the
        Burrowing Owls on Eglin Airforce Base.On Sat driving out to the owls we
        passed by several loggerhead shrikes sitting 5 ft from the car, 2
        vesper's sparrows, phebee, kildeer, y. b. sapsucker and then the owls
        most of the views were of the bird flushing and flying away from us but
        twice we got amazing views of the owls watching us with these bright
        yellow eyes. On leaving this area we got great view of a meadowlark, got
        to see several kestrels, savannah sparrows, heard a brown headed nuthatch.
        Sun I birded Topsail Preserve
        *_Beach:_*
        B. pelicans
        laughing gulls
        sanderlings
        ringbill gulls
        forsters terns
        osprey
        herring gull
        bonoparte gulls
        and these 2 tree swallows were catching insects very close to me, so I
        had a wonderful time watching them work the sky for insects

        *_Woods:
        _*song sparrow
        y. b. sapsucker
        R. B. woodpecker
        downy woodpecker
        G. B. heron
        phebee
        robins
        bluebird
        chickadee
        lots of pine warblers
        B. H. Nuthatch who was kind enough to let me take some video of him
        R. C kinglet

        Melissa Forehand
        Happy Birding
        Tallahassee Florida