Re: St. Marks Refuge Up for Sale!

  • DAVID
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 11, 2003
      Could well be the normal developer ploy to make a quick profit.
      Place sensitive land for sale, even begin making improvements and
      hopefully folks will holler loud enough to get the State to buy the
      land for a handsome profit for the developer. Cases in point are
      state park on St. George Island, Tates Hell state forest, Bald Point
      state park. I am sure there are others. Someone needs to control
      the excess profits being made in those transactions. The last
      purchase made in Franklin County, an addition to the Bald Point park
      made the Nature Conservancy around a million dollars just for being
      the broker ( don't know the exact amount so could be off a bit).

      -- In nflbirds@yahoogroups.com, "Nancy Lang" <LANG-N@m...> wrote:
      > This is a done deal, so I'm just crabbing, but I was very
      disheartened to see that all of the land on Highway 59 south which
      abuts the St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge is now up for sale....

      > St. Joe has put up for sale HUNDREDS and HUNDREDS of acres to be
      developed.

      > I can't imagine what this will do to the Refuge once you add to
      these pristine lands all the silt and runoff and effluence of a few
      hundred new homes....

      > I am so sad. I can't imagine what Wakulla County was thinking and
      I am livid that St. Joe would choose THIS land for development....