additional hummer

  • Fran Rutkovsky
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
      A big adult male Rubythroated hummer showed up around 5:30 today.
      All others are present and accounted for.
      --

      Fran C. Rutkovsky
      Tallahassee, FL
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 1, 2003
        Hi all,

        Prompted by Fran's report of a male Ruby-throat, I stuck the hummingbird
        feeder out this morning. So far nothing at the feeder, HOWEVER, just a few
        minutes ago I saw what looked like a goldfinch flying high over the yard,
        pursued by what appeared to be a large insect. The "regular" bird landed in
        one of our snags, at which point the "bug" started swooping back and forth
        over it - it was a HUMMINGBIRD! After a minute or so, the hummer vamoosed,
        then a moment later the "regular bird" headed for the pines (no doubt
        greatly relieved by the departure of his tormentor).

        Looking at the "dive display" patterns in the Sibley guide, I suspect that
        the hummer was a RUFOUS. Anybody out there missing a male Rufous
        Hummingbird?

        Sure hope he checks out the feeder...

        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
        http://www.swamphen.net/
        "Walk softly, and carry a big scope"

        ---
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 6, 2003
          Hi all,

          Had our first RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD of the season, a plump male, at our
          feeders this morning. He is obiously a returnee from last season - I'd only
          put out the front-yard feeder, but this guy went right to the back steps and
          started fussing! Oh, sure, he'd come to the front feeder - but he wanted HIS
          FEEDER back!! Needless to say the little tyrant got what he wanted...

          Also heard two other FOTS: NORTHERN PARULA and GREAT CRESTED FLYCATCHER -
          three year birds before breakfast! Life is, indeed, quite good...

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 10, 2003
            Hi all,

            Stopped at Springhill Road STF in Tallahassee around noon today, hoping to
            find Pectoral Sandpiper. Didn't find any Pecs (one Least Sandpiper, up close
            and alone, gave me a moment), and couldn't check the fields beyond "Swan
            Lake" because the sprayers were active, but I did find a basic-plumaged
            CASPIAN TERN, along with the following:

            Turkey Vulture - 3
            Canada Goose - 39
            Mallard - 28
            Blue-winged Teal - 3
            Northern Shoveler - 4
            Lesser Scaup - c.350
            Bufflehead - c.24
            American Nestrel - 1
            Killdeer - 3
            Ring-billed Gull - 50 (exactly!)
            CASPIAN TERN - 1
            Eurasian Collared-Dove - 5
            Mourning Dove - 7
            Loggerhead Shrike - 1
            American Crow - 1
            Fish Crow - 11
            Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 1
            Eastern Bluebird - 2
            European Starling - 35+
            Yellow-rumped Warbler - c.12
            Chipping Sparrow - c.12
            Savannah Sparrow - 2
            Red-winged Blackbird - 4+
            Common Grackle - 15+

            On the way up, I found (along with 26 geese), in a field at the corner of
            319 and Lonnier Raker Lane, a CATTLE EGRET. They're Baaaaaacckkk!!

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 10, 2003
              Fat fingers alert:

              > American Nestrel - 1

              Can I buy a "K"?

              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 11, 2003
                Hi all,

                Last night, we heard our first CHUCK-WILL'S-WIDOW of the season, struggling
                to make himself heard over the frogs, who after the past week of downpours
                are in "frog heaven"!

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 13, 2003
                  Thought it was kind of neat, earlier this afternoon when we went to the post
                  office, to hear RUBY-CROWNED KINGLETS fussing and PARULAS singing at the
                  same time. Out with the old, in with the new...

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 19, 2003
                    Hi all,

                    After hearing one yesterday along US-98, today the first RED-EYED VIREO of
                    the season is singing here on our property.