RE: [nflbirds] Digital cameras

  • DWassme1
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2003
      Paul:

      We are using an Olympus C-2100UZ which has recently been taken from
      shelves. Original cost was about $1000, but you can probably find one
      new in the box on Ebay for less than $500. It is only 2.1 mega-pixel,
      which means 1600x1200 pixels is the picture size. It will utilize 128MB
      Smart cards which are less than $50 each. I take four cards on the road
      with me and two sets of batteries plus the charger. Each card will hold
      257 pictures. However, you can also take 36-second movies with the
      camera, and this eats up more space. The camera comes with a built in
      10x49 mm optical zoom, so it is like a 10x49 binoculars. I use a B-300
      1.7 x optical extender that I got on Ebay for $200. It requires a 49m to
      55mm adapter. That gets me up to 17x49 mm optical. You can also search
      Ebay for an A-200 49mm 1.5x extender (about $100) that will get you to
      15x optical without using the 49mm to 55 mm adapter. The camera has a
      2.6x maximum electronic zoom magnification which I seldom used unless
      the bird is sitting still or off in the distance and I just want a
      record of it. It multiplies the optical resolution (2.6x17= about 46x
      power like a telescope). The camera has an auto-stabilizer like the
      fancy new binoculars, and you can use a throat mike to record data onto
      either the pictures or the movies. It also has a built in Flash. It is
      absolutely the best camera (in my opinion) that you can get for what we
      do. If you go to the newer cameras with higher resolution, you'll not
      see these features until you get to the $3000-$4000 price range.
      Compare all other cameras to this one

      Here are some links:

      <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc2100uz/page2.asp>
      Specifications here