Digital cameras

  • Paul Johnson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 30, 2003
      I am planning to get new digital camera with an
      optical zoom lens as long as practical and affordable.
      Does anyone have comments on particular brands and models?
      Thanks,
      Paul
      Milton, fl
    • DWassme1
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2003
        Paul:

        We are using an Olympus C-2100UZ which has recently been taken from
        shelves. Original cost was about $1000, but you can probably find one
        new in the box on Ebay for less than $500. It is only 2.1 mega-pixel,
        which means 1600x1200 pixels is the picture size. It will utilize 128MB
        Smart cards which are less than $50 each. I take four cards on the road
        with me and two sets of batteries plus the charger. Each card will hold
        257 pictures. However, you can also take 36-second movies with the
        camera, and this eats up more space. The camera comes with a built in
        10x49 mm optical zoom, so it is like a 10x49 binoculars. I use a B-300
        1.7 x optical extender that I got on Ebay for $200. It requires a 49m to
        55mm adapter. That gets me up to 17x49 mm optical. You can also search
        Ebay for an A-200 49mm 1.5x extender (about $100) that will get you to
        15x optical without using the 49mm to 55 mm adapter. The camera has a
        2.6x maximum electronic zoom magnification which I seldom used unless
        the bird is sitting still or off in the distance and I just want a
        record of it. It multiplies the optical resolution (2.6x17= about 46x
        power like a telescope). The camera has an auto-stabilizer like the
        fancy new binoculars, and you can use a throat mike to record data onto
        either the pictures or the movies. It also has a built in Flash. It is
        absolutely the best camera (in my opinion) that you can get for what we
        do. If you go to the newer cameras with higher resolution, you'll not
        see these features until you get to the $3000-$4000 price range.
        Compare all other cameras to this one

        Here are some links:

        <http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusc2100uz/page2.asp>
        Specifications here
        <http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/c2100uz-review/> Good review
        <http://www.amystuff.com/lenses.htm> Extra lenses that fit

        Good Shopping

        Doug Wassmer

        Dwassme1@...

        Tampa, Fl

        I am planning to get new digital camera with an
        optical zoom lens as long as practical and affordable.
        Does anyone have comments on particular brands and models?
        Thanks,
        Paul
        Milton, fl

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor