Winter Wren & Brown Creeper, January 12th

  • Dean and Sally Jue
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2003
      Around noon today, while searching for a Brown Creeper reported on the
      Tallahassee CBC January 1st, we found a WINTER WREN at Lake Jackson
      Mounds Archaeological State Park (off Crowder Road in Tallahassee). The
      wren was seen from the nature trail that starts at the parking lot. We
      followed the trail through the woods to the first bridge that crosses a
      small stream. The wren was discovered on the left side of the bridge in
      the vegetation along the stream bank. It was very secretive, but
      eventually we both got good looks.

      Although we did not find the creeper, the male WILSON'S WARBLER that had
      also been reported on the CBC was feeding near the entrance to the
      nature trail. (Last Sunday, January 5th, we observed the Wilson's in
      the same spot. Dean heard a creeper that day, and Michael Evans had
      located two Brown Creepers down near the stream before we arrived.)

      Two hours after returning home today, Sally was looking out a window and
      spotted a BROWN CREEPER climbing up a dead oak right in the backyard!
      That is the first creeper we have seen in our yard since 1991.

      The Rufous Hummingbird banded on Friday, January 10th, has not been seen
      since. We're still hoping it will return.

      Sally and Dean Jue
      Tallahassee, FL
      dsjue@...