St Marks NWR, Jan 2nd

  • johanvantol <johanvantol@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
      We did not spot the Vermillion Flycatcher,
      but amongst others did see:
      - Barn owl (north of double dikes)
      - 26 Greater White-Fronted Geese
      and 1 Snow (Blue) goose (close to outer dike beyond Stoney Bayou 2)
      - 2 Common Goldeneye (south of double dikes)

      Happy birding in 2003 to you all,

      Hans van Tol
    • Swamphen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
        Hi Hans (and others),

        You should have tried a little farther south for the Vermilion Flycatcher.
        It was putting on a show at Gate #129, which is the boundary of Stony Bayou
        #1 and Mounds Pool #1.

        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
        http://www.swamphen.net/
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2003
          attn: The Nimrod

          Hi all,

          Did some birding today, starting at St Marks NWR and working up into
          Tallahassee. Hunger cut short our exploration of SMNWR - did nothing but
          drive to the lighthouse and back - but we did find the VERMILION FC (as
          noted in other message). Also a few GREEN-WINGED TEAL in Headquarters Pond.
          GWTE and Mallard have been very conspicious by their absence this winter.

          Up in Leon county, checked out Faulk Drive Landing on Lake Jackson and
          found:
          Double-crested Cormorant (3)
          Great Blue Heron (1)
          Great Egret (1)
          Black Vulture (1)
          Turkey Vulture (13+)
          Osprey (1)
          Bald Eagle (1, stealing the Osprey's fish)
          Northern Harrier (2)
          Killdeer (1)
          Ring-billed Gull (1)
          Eastern Phoebe (1)
          Loggerhead Shrike (1)
          White-eyed Vireo (1)
          Blue Jay (1)
          Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1)
          American Robin (3)
          Northern Mockingbird (1)
          European Starling (c. 200)
          Yellow-rumped Warbler (I dont count butterbutts)
          Palm Warbler (1)
          Savannah Sparrow (5+)
          Red-winged Blackbird (16+)
          Boat-tailed Grackle (8+)

          Then we checked Sunset Landing:
          Great Egret (1)
          Red-shouldered Hawk (1)
          American Coot (100+)
          Ring-billed Gull (2)
          American Crow (2)
          Carolina Chickadee (1)
          Ruby-crowned Kinglet (1)
          Northern Mockingbird (1)
          Yellow-rumped Warbler
          Common Grackle (2)
          Boat-tailed Grackle (1)

          After that, we went to J. Lee Vause Park:
          Pied-billed Grebe (1)
          Anhinga (22)
          Snowy Egret (1)
          Red-shouldered Hawk (1)
          American Coot (30+)
          Red-bellied Woodpecker (1)
          Northern Flicker (1)
          Pileated Woodpecker (1)
          Eastern Phoebe (3)
          Blue Jay (too many to count)
          American Crow (ditto)
          Carolina Chickadee (4)
          Tufted Titmouse (1)
          Carolina Wren (1)
          Ruby-crowned Kinglet (5+)
          Yellow-rumped Warbler
          Northern Cardinal (6+)

          Took a short turn through Tall Timbers station to try for nuthatches, didn't
          find any but did find an adult COOPER'S HAWK.

          Finally we went to the north landing on Lake Iamonia and found:
          Double-crested Cormorant (2)
          Great Egret (1)
          COOPER'S HAWK (1 juv)
          Red-shouldered Hawk (1)
          Killdeer (1)
          Belted Kingfisher (2)
          Northern Flicker (1)
          Pileated Woodpecker (1)
          Ruby-crowned Kinglet (2)
          Yellow-rumped Warbler (4+)
          Palm Warbler (1)
          Eastern Towhee (1)

          The last bird of the day was some already-roosted-with-heads-under-wings
          House Sparrows in the Kerry Forest Pkwy Winn-Dixie parking lot, in the "e"
          in the "Allstate" sign. With this, after two days my year list is at 99.

          -S.P.McCool
          Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
          http://www.swamphen.net/
          "Walk softly, and carry a big scope"