hummingbirds

  • Fran Rutkovsky
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 31, 2002
      I have FOUR hummingbirds today, Dec. 31, including a female Rufous.
      I hope they'll stick around for the banding on Jan. 11 by Fred Bassett.
      Happy birding year everyone! --Fran

      --------------
      "I will band hummers in Tallahassee and give a talk there at
      Native Nurseries on Saturday 11 Jan. Please let me know if you
      have a hummer in the Tallahassee area.
      Happy New Year, Fred"

      Contact Fred Bassett by phone at 334-244-0227 (Montgomery, AL)
      or by E-mail at fhound@..., or call Native Nurseries

      --

      Fran C. Rutkovsky
      Tallahassee, FL
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
        Forgot to mention in my first post, at least one of the LONG-TAILED DUCKS is
        still in Picnic Pond at St Marks NWR.

        -S.P.McCool
        Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
        http://www.swamphen.net/
      • Swamphen
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2003
          One last post, I promise. :-)

          The House Sparrows I referenced as year bird #99 were, in fact, #100. Blame
          it on a Laughing Gull!

          My 2003 Year List can be viewed at:
          http://www.swamphen.net/birds/mine/2003.htm

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 3, 2003
            The "Palm Warbler" I reported as being at Lake Iamonia yesterday (2nd) was,
            in fact, an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER. Egg on my face, and 101 (not 100) on the
            year list.

            -S.P.McCool
            Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
            http://www.swamphen.net/
            "Walk softly, and carry a big scope"

            ---
          • Swamphen
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
              2002/03 Winter Bird Arrival Dates
              Crawfordville, Florida

              Gray Catbird- 14 Sep
              Palm Warbler- 24 Sep
              Eastern Phoebe- 9 Oct
              House Wren- 9 Oct
              Northern Flicker- 9 Oct
              Yellow-rumped Warbler- 14 Oct
              Yellow-bellied Sapsucker- 16 Oct
              Blue-headed Vireo- 14 Oct
              "Yellow" Palm Warbler- 18 Oct
              Song Sparrow- 18 Oct
              Orange-crowned Warbler- 19 Oct
              Chipping Sparrow- 19 Oct
              Savannah Sparrow- 19 Oct
              Swamp Sparrow- 19 Oct
              American Robin- 22 Oct
              Ruby-crowned Kinglet- 30 Oct
              Hermit Thrush- 31 Oct
              White-throated Sparrow- 31 Oct
              Sharp-shinned Hawk- 1 Nov
              American Goldfinch- 3 Nov
              Black-and-white Warbler- 4 Nov
              Vesper Sparrow- 7 Nov
              White-crowned Sparrow- 7 Nov
              Tree Swallow- 11 Nov
              Dark-eyed Junco- 18 Nov
              Field Sparrow- 21 Dec

              Updates to Late Dates for Summer Birds:
              Barn Swallow - 12 Nov
              Indigo Bunting - 17 Nov

              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003

                Just had a pleasant surprise: a PINE WARBLER, in amongst the goldfinchian
                horde, sampling from the suet feeder.

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 7, 2003
                  Heard an AMERICAN WOODCOCK "peent"-ing in the back 40 this evening. Cool,
                  and year bird #117.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 13 7:41 PM
                    I saw the first adult male Rubythroat in the yard today. He was being chased
                    by one of the banded Rufous hummers.
                    Follow the northward migration of Rubies by going to this map:

                    http://hummingbirds.net/map.html
                    --

                    Fran C. Rutkovsky
                    Tallahassee, FL
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 25 4:20 PM
                      We got back from a trip to Texas this morning and the
                      first thing we had to do was fill the sock for the
                      goldfinches. There aren't so many here now. This
                      afternoon we saw the female RT Hummingbird at the
                      feeder. We saw the male last week.

                      Joe and Alice
                      McAlpin
                      joseph_asarisi2001@...