Re: [nflbirds] Pine Warbler Invasion

  • Jim Stevenson
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 16, 2002
      It's more widespread than you might think. They are also rampant here on the
      Upper Texas Coast, with three this fall, compared to two the previous six
      years. Doncha just wonder what variable there is in the environment that
      causes these population dynamics and/or range shifts?

      Jim
    • Fran Rutkovsky
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 16, 2002
        Rob Lengacher wrote:

        > This one feeder has attracted the largest concentration of House
        >Finches I've ever seen. Last week, there were over 50 birds perched
        >and feeding near this feeder last week.

        Rob, keep an eye out for Purple Finches mixed in with the House Finches.
        I've had one male and one female that came in with the House and Gold
        finches but haven't seen them recently.

        On another note, today I have an adult male Rufous hummingbird along with
        2-3 Rubythroats. The Rufous is wearing a band. Fred Bassett banded a
        male Rufous in another yard in the neighborhood when he was here on
        Dec. 5. He also banded an adult male Rufous a year ago across the
        street that I had been seeing in the ravine. Which one is this??
        --

        Fran C. Rutkovsky
        Tallahassee, FL
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 16, 2002
          Crept down to St Marks NWR this afternoon in search of a creepy creeper.
          Cripes! No creeper to creep up on.

          (ahem)

          Highlights:

          SNOW GOOSE - Two as part of a major feeding frenzy in the north end of
          Mounds Pool #1. Year Bird #271! Other guests at the feast included GREAT
          BLUE, LITTLE BLUE and TRICOLORED HERONS; GREAT and SNOWY EGRETS; WHITE IBIS,
          KILLDEER, and BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE. Did anybody get the SNGOs for the CBC? If
          not, here they are for CW...

          VERMILION FLYCATCHER - At the start of the double dikes, putting on a show.
          There are at least two VEFLs at St Marks this winter, as this bird was MUCH
          brighter than the one in the picture posted to FLORIDABIRDS-L.

          GREEN-WINGED TEAL - Finally! A group of females just north of the parking
          area/bench in Mounds Pool #1.

          -S.P.McCool
          Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida
        • Swamphen
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 20, 2002

            Well, they may be overrunning Tallahassee, but today we had our first PINE
            WARBLER since the 3rd of November. Also, no House Finches have been seen
            since 20 Nov.

            In other news, we found a SHRIKE today at the as-yet-unbuilt Commodore
            Commons development in Crawfordville. Perfect habitat - a large open area,
            surrounded by woods, with a convenient barb-wire-topped fence next door!

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 25, 2002
              Birding after binging at Barnhill's (burp):

              (this may be interesting to Gail Menk)

              Chapman Pond:
              Canada Goose (3)
              Hooded Merganser (9)