cool, cloudy and windy

  • Harry Hooper
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 30, 2002
      Hey nflbirders,

      Well, today was almost 180 degrees of yesterday, yesterday being deep blue
      skies, light winds and cool temperatures. Today was overcast with widely
      scattered light drizzle, moderately windy and temperatures in the upper 40s
      to mid 50s.

      Despite the uninviting conditions, I went ahead and put the kayak in at the
      St. Marks NWR lighthouse around 9:25 and proceeded east by southeast knowing
      full well that I would be fighting a strong wind on my return.

      There was a large mixed flock of birds in a feeding frenzy about a half mile
      off shore. I started out to observe this activity when I was stopped by 3
      Common Loons. Two of the loons kept my attention away from the feeding
      bonanza further off shore by continuously yodeling between themselves. I
      stayed roughly 200 feet down wind and enjoyed the serenade.

      Meanwhile, the feeding frenzy began breaking up and the cormorants formed a
      very long train heading back toward the East River area. Mixed in with them
      were Brown Pelicans, Ring-billed Gulls and a couple of White Pelicans.

      Continuing on eastward, I paddled to the small bay and extensive marshes
      about a quarter mile east of the lighthouse. With high tide around 11, the
      numerous winding channels I found passable as I disappeared in the vastness
      of the black needlerush marsh. Except for a Red-breasted Merganser, a lone
      White pelican, 1 Northern Harrier, a Clapper Rail and 1 male Boat-tailed
      Grackle the marsh was very quiet, not even one wader.

      The birds seen while on the water included:
      * Common Loon - 3
      * American White Pelican - 3
      * Brown Pelican - 40+
      * Double-crested Cormorants - 400+ (the feeding frenzy flock)
      * Lesser Scaup - 30+ in several rafts of 8 to 10 birds each.
      * Bufflehead - 40+ in several rafts of 6 to 10 birds each. All
      female adult or first winter birds.
      * Red-breasted Merganser - 1
      * Bald Eagle - 1 adult.
      * Northern Harrier - 1 female.
      * Clapper Rail - 1 heard only.
      * Willet - approximately 150 flew across my bow in one fast moving
      flock, a beautiful sight.
      * Laughing Gull - 20+
      * Ring-billed Gull - 100+
      * Royal Tern - 12
      * Boat-tailed Grackle - 1

      By 11, the winds were kicking up pretty good out the west and since I had
      some open water to cover into the wind to get back to the lighthouse,
      birding was terminated and I got my workout for the day.

      Also did a little car and foot birding from Lighthouse Pool back to Mounds
      Pool #1. Birds seen were:
      * Pied-Billed Grebe - 15
      * Double-crested Cormorant - 1
      * Anhinga - 1
      * Great Blue Heron - 14, 8 were hunkered down in Headquarters Pond.
      * Great Egret - 80+ in the south end of Mounds Pool #3.
      * Snowy Egret - 50+ same location as the Great Egrets.
      * Little Blue Heron - 3
      * Tricolored Heron - 16
      * Black-crowned Night Heron - 21, 5 juvs. and 16 adults, east side of
      Headquarters Pond.
      * White Ibis - 3, 2 adults and 1 first winter.
      * American Widgeon - 38, all in Lighthouse Pool
      * Blue-winged Teal - 22
      * Green-winged Teal - 34
      * Ring-necked Duck - 20+ in Picnic Pond.
      * Lesser Scaup - 60+ in Picnic Pond.
      * Bufflehead - 80+ in Picnic Pond.
      Note: did not see the Long-tailed Duck reported there.
      * Ruddy Duck - 1 in Picnic Pond.
      * Bald Eagle - 1 adult
      * Northern Harrier - 1 female
      * American Kestrel - 1 male
      * Common Moorhen - 30+
      * American Coot - 60+
      * Semipalmated Plover - 16 in Tower Pond.
      * Killdeer - 3 in Tower Pond.
      * Greater Yellowlegs - 30+ in Tower Pond.
      * Willet - 30+ in Tower Pond.
      * Marbled Godwit - 1 in Tower Pond.
      * Peeps - Western or Semipals? probably greater than 500 birds in Tower
      Pond.
      * Short-billed Dowitcher - 50+ in Tower Pond.
      * Laughing Gull - 8
      * Belted Kingfisher - 3
      * Red-bellied Woodpecker - 1 heard.
      * Pileated Woodpecker - 1 heard.
      * Eastern Phoebe - 2
      * Tree swallow - 15+ over Mounds Pool #3.
      * Ruby-crowned Kinglet - 2 next to the fire tower, one bird was nicely
      displaying its bright red crest at the second bird.
      * Northern Mockingbird - 4
      * Eastern Towhee - 1 heard.
      * Boat-tailed Grackle - 30+

      Tomorrow is a rest day.