RE: [nflbirds] White-winged Scoter at St. Marks NWR

  • Jack Dozier
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 7, 2002
      At 09:03 PM 11/7/02 -0500, Swamphen wrote:
      >Rats, we were there before noon and the lighting was too bad to ID anything
      >but bluebills (c.115+another c.85 in Stony Bayou #1) and Bubbleheads (c.24).

      Evidently, an afternoon bird. Did you see the scaup (both sps.) and
      bufflehead on Picnic Pond? If so the scoter was probably with
      them. Migrant ducks are shy and very nervous acting. They are very active
      when approached, diving, turning, short flights, etc. Probably a defense
      mechanism, so a predator can't easily pick out a particular bird (my
      theory). It would be easy to overlook him, or the bird may respond to
      tidal conditions, and be out in the Bay. My bet is, as long as the main
      flock is around, so is the scoter. It may not be the same flock--all the
      buffleheads were non adult males, but then the MacVicars got it in the
      PM. Go figure. Still, it is the least common of our scoters. I had
      already predicted a good scoter year because of western and inland reports,
      let alone movements from New England, VA, Carolinas, and GA. A couple (or
      three) years ago we had good scoter numbers at Alligator and Bald
      Pt. Flocks with all three present, Surf being the most numerous, and WWSC,
      the least.

      Good Luck, JD

      Jack Dozier
      Alligator Pt., FL