8903St Marks NWR -- Saturday

  • Don Morrow
    Jul 26, 2014
      It is said that you have to suffer to sing the blues. Apparently, a modicum of suffering is necessary to see good birds on a late morning in late July. Tower Pond is a good birding location and not a far walk. There are, however, numerous biting deer flies out at this time of the year. I killed as many as I could. (I know that it's a wildlife refuge, but I don't think that USFWS protection extends to pestilential biting insects.) Some birding highlights were:

      Snowy Egret
      Tricolored Heron
      Reddish Egret
      Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (two immature birds)
      Black-bellied Plover (several in various plumage stages)
      Semipalmated Plover
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Willet
      Semipalmated Sandpiper
      Western Sandpiper
      Least Sandpiper
      Stilt Sandpiper (single individual in breeding plumage)
      Short-billed Dowitcher ( about twenty, mostly in breeding plumage)
      Laughing Gull
      Gull-billed Tern ( a small flock of breeding plumage adults and immatures)
      Forster's Tern
      Least Tern
      Black Skimmer

      It's a great opportunity to study shorebird identification --especially the peeps. The birds are close and in good light.

      Good Birding.