8891Re: [nflbirds] Vanguard of fall migration on the move

  • Rex Rowan
    Jul 6 5:50 PM
      Hi, David and all -

      Game and Fish Commission game manager William Frankenberger wrote of a much later nesting in The Florida Naturalist: “On 10 September, 1972, while inspecting Wood Duck nesting boxes in the River Styx area of Orange Lake in Alachua County, I found one nest with two eggs. This is an unusually late date for a Wood Duck nest. The female Wood Duck was gone. The eggs were covered with down indicating that she was in the process of laying the clutch. On 27 September, I checked the nest box again and found the female sitting on the nest. I did not want to disturb her so did not count the eggs at this time. On 2 October, the female was not on the nest. I investigated and found only one egg remaining; it was rotten. No eggshells or shell fragments were present. Rat snakes frequently visit these boxes hunting eggs, so this nest may have been predatorized [sic] by a snake” (“Wood Ducks (Aix sponsa) in Alachua County,” The Florida Naturalist 46(1):28)

      Rex Rowan
      Gainesville

      On Sat, Jul 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM, David Simpson simpsondavid@... [nflbirds] <nflbirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Interesting note about Wood ducks.  Black-bellied whistling ducks are notoriously late nesters but I had not heard of Wood ducks nesting this late in the year.

      Florida's extended growing season offers many species an opportunity to raise second or even third broods.

      David Simpson
      Fellsmere, FL

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jul 5, 2014, at 10:20, "'Tara Tanaka' h2otara@... [nflbirds]" <nflbirds-noreply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Fall migration?  We have Wood Ducks and Black-bellied Whistling Ducks that just started laying in two boxes in our  backyard swamp!  It’s interesting how different the cycles are for the various species.

      Thank you for the report.