8783St. Marks NWR-Friday Morning

  • Don Morrow
    Mar 21, 2014
      I went down to the refuge early this morning to join Dr. Paul Spitzer for the first day of Loon Migration Monitoring. Twenty Common Loons headed north -- two turned back. Paul is looking for volunteers to help watch for loons. If you don't mind getting up early, head down to the refuge and join him on the platform next to the lighthouse. Loons start flying about 15 minutes before sunrise.

      There were lots of calling Soras and Clappers. GH Owls were calling from the woods to the North and Marsh Wrens are already singing. While I had to leave at 8:30 to get into work, I did note some ducks still present on Lighthouse Pool and the Gulf; Bufflehead, Lesser Scaup, BW Teal and RB Merganser. There were many shorebirds; Willet, Dunlin, SB Dowitcher and American Oystercatcher. I had a small flock of Barn Swallows.

      It was a beautiful sunrise and a nice morning on the Gulf coast.