8642St Marks NWR--Saturday

  • Don Morrow
    Nov 9, 2013
      The first St Marks Fall Wildlife Tour of the Season ran hot and cold. The morning run was cold and breezy, but the afternoon heated up to seasonably warm temperatures. I logged 75 species and had credible reports of a half dozen more. There were thirteen species of waterfowl. My thanks to Pensacola Audubon for good company and their birding expertise. Some highlights of the day were:

      Stony Bayou I (great shorebirding during high tide along the coast; numbers are increasing daily)
      Black-bellied Plover
      Semipalmated Plover Killdeer
      Black-necked Stilt
      American Avocet
      Greater Yellowlegs
      Lesser Yellowlegs
      Willet
      Western Sandpiper
      Least sandpiper
      Dunlin
      Short-billed Dowitcher

      Stony Bayou II (most birds in the East end)
      American Bittern
      Black-crowned Night-Heron
      Yellow-crowned Night-Heron (there are at least three adult plumage birds)
      Wood Stork
      Green-winged Teal
      American Black Duck (one pair seen and then three seen in a flock of Mallards)
      Blue-winged Teal
      Canvasback
      Redhead
      Ring-necked Duck
      Lesser Scaup
      Hooded Merganser
      Virginia Rail (feeding on flats along edge of needle rush marsh)

      Mounds Pool III
      Glossy Ibis
      White-faced Ibis (pair seen loosely associating with Glossy Ibis flock)
      Green-winged Teal
      Northern Pintail
      Blue-winged Teal

      There were many White Pelicans moving through in late morning. Lucy Duncan and others reported a female Painted Bunting near the platform at Headquarters Pond.

      The next wildlife tour is December 14th. Call St Marks at 850.625.6121 to reserve a spot.

      It was a good day of birding.