8464St Marks NWR-Sunday Morning

  • Don Morrow
    May 19, 2013
      I got out early with my wife, Ann, to check for loons. We had three loons between 6:27 am and 7:27 am. Shorebirds are still moving, but landbird migration seems to be over.

      From the lighthouse viewing platform (several Clapper and one Sora calling)
      Horned Grebe (several all in breeding plumage)
      Caspian Tern
      Common Tern
      Whimbrel (lighthouse flats)
      Marbled Godwit (lighthouse flats)
      Black-bellied Plover (lighthouse flats)
      Least Bittern

      Tower Pond (high tide on the gulf)
      Semipalmated Plover
      Wilson's Plover
      Black-bellied Plover
      Spotted Sandpiper
      Stilt Sandpiper
      Semipalmated Sandpiper
      Dunlin
      Willet
      Short-billed Dowitcher
      Lesser Yellowlegs
      Black-necked Stilt (four)
      Black Skimmer
      Common Tern
      Gull-billed Tern

      The only duck that I had was a BW Teal on Tower Pond. Purple Gallinule are regular on Headquarters Pond, which indicates that they are breeding there.

      The wildflowers along the entrance road from US 98 are great.

      Good Birding.