8335Early hatchin' nuthatches

  • Jim Cox
    Feb 24, 2013
      Brown-headed Nuthatches on Tall Timbers Research Station are off to an early start this year. We have a female in her 3rd or 4th day of incubating a complete clutch (first egg probably laid around Feb 15) and an additional nest with eggs. The previous early record for a nest with eggs was Feb 28 back in 2006, and the average date for the first nest with eggs has been around March 3 over the past 10 years. Nuthatches using boxes probably had an even earlier start this year, but it takes our males about 2 weeks to excavate their cavities.

      Good birding,

      Jim Cox
      Tall Timbers Research Station