405Oh Dry Up! Leon County (Mar 1)

  • Swamphen
    Mar 2, 2002

      Yesterday around noontime, having a little time to kill, we decided to bird
      a few locations in Leon County...

      Southwood: Kingfisher Pond has just about dried up! Mom's blaming the
      "erosion control" work they did, but I don't think so. I do think that the
      rain today might fill it back up a bit. Because we were starving, we didn't
      get out, but we did see eleven WOOD STORKS overhead, a few PIPITS, and a
      VESPER SPARROW. Other highlights in Southwood were 6+ HOUSE FINCHES
      scooting around in the holes in the fence on one of the baseball field
      backstops , two BLUEBIRDS at the same location, a small flock of CHIPPING
      SPARROWS at "Gator Pond" (Bald Cypress Rd and Merchants Road), and a
      KESTREL.

      In a retention pond at the bridge in Fallschase (off of Buck Lake Rd) we
      found two CANADA GEESE getting ready to nest, and a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK.

      The best birding of the day was at Lost Lake Recreation Area, in the forest
      off of Springhill Road: TURKEY VULTURE, DOWNY WOODPECKER, SAPSUCKER, PHOEBE,
      CHICKADEE, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, CAROLINA and HOUSE WRENS, HERMIT THRUSH,
      ROBIN, CARDINAL, and four species of warblers: PINE, PALM, YELLOW-RUMPED and
      the highlight, one ORANGE-CROWNED!

      A question: are there any good spots in Leon County to try for Common Loon?

      Thanks,
      -S.P.MacCumhail
      Crawfordville, Wakulla County, Florida