3413SMNWR

  • limeybirder@comcast.net
    Jul 28, 2006
      Hi all

      Julie and I went to the refuge this evening along with Alex Harper from Miami and had a good two or three hours birding. Highlights as follows

      Louisiana Waterthrush, Kentucky Warbler, Prothonotary Warbler, Acadian Flycatcher, EW Peewee, many many shorebirds, at least 20 Reddish Egrets, 4 Roseate Spoonbills (including a banded bird - details will be passed on to relevant people), 2 Great Horned Owls, Clapper Rails, Marsh Wrens, Marbled Godwit, Purple Gallinules, both night herons..................

      Alex picked up his 300th Florida bird, congratulations young man.

      When we got back we were sorry to read Johns recent post. Julie and I are both sad and upset to hear that Jack has passed away. I didnt know Jack for very long but I am better off for having met him. He was a charming old fox, a great birder and I never tired of hearing the enormous wealth of information he was always willing to share. My favorite memory of birding at Bald Point was with Jack, it was one of my first trips down to the state park and he kindly chauffered me around in his trailblazer pointing out all the hot spots for certain species. Not far from his house we stopped to admire 4 Scissor-tailed Flycatchers sunning themselves on a telegraph wire, we saw 9 during what still remains the best day of birding I've had in Florida since I arrived from England 3 years ago.

      all the best

      Andy & Julie Wraithmell