NeXT OS

  • robertwade.rm
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 10, 1999
      Welcome, This is the Yahoo! Message Board for NeXT OS community.
    • n_marshall_uk
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2000
        If you're in the UK and selling NeXT Hardware, software or Manuals, please email me with details.<br>Did NeXT ever have a magazine devoted to it?
      • fisaac.rm
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 15, 2000
          Hi,<br><br>The only company I have found that has
          a decent amount of NeXT stuff available is
          blackhole. They are based in Denver (I think) and their web
          page with lots of NeXT goodiis is
          (including versions for Intel, Sparc and HP).<br><br>They
          have a US shipping rate of $65 anywhere in the US. But
          if you look for a freight forwarder in Miami you can
          normally get decent rates for shipping globally door to
          door. So the $65 to get to Miami plus the shipping
          Miami to Englend. To give you an idea when I was in
          Ecuador blockhole (via DHL) quoted me $765 shipping to
          Ecuador on a $700 piece of hardware. But the route via
          Miami came to $190 including the $65 internal fee. If
          you have a friend in New York or that area and they
          will help they can probably send it cargo which would
          probably come out to about $100 I should
          imagine.<br><br>Of course all of this does not help with you looking
          for a seller in England. I never found one there.
          There is a german (I think) company called bifrost
          (<a href=http://www.bifrost.com target=new>http://www.bifrost.com</a>) that might get you NeXT hardware, but if not they
          can definitely get you a PC with NeXTSTEP or OPENSTEP
          installed. This is a bit nearer to home for you and may come
          out cheaper for the software. Of course blackhole
          sells the Intel NeXTSTEP operating system and developer
          kits for about $250 (again I am not sure, although
          academic is much cheaper if you are a student). Then you
          have the CDs and could put together a clone type PC.
          But check out bifrost, I have never contacted them so
          I do not know what deals they are
          offering.<br><br>Hope this has been of some help to
        • n_marshall_uk
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 16, 2000
            Thanks bifrost's site is currently giving an
            error 312, but i'll check back later.<br>The high cost
            of shipping is exactly why i'm looking for a
            supplier in the UK (although germany is close
            enough!)<br>Thanks for the help.
          • fisaac.rm
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 19, 2000
              Sorry,<br><br>In a previous communication I
              incorrectly gave the bifrost url as www.bifrost.com whereas
              it should have been
              312 <br><br>Sorry about
            • Breztech
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
                Just to get things started... Do you own a NeXT
                computer, what kind, how long have you owned it, what do
                you do with it, any good links?<br><br>1. I own a
                NeXTSTation Color Turbo w/OpenStep 4.2<br>[68040/33mhz, 32mb
                ram and 426 HD, Color 17" Sony NeXT monitor.]<br>2. I
                have owned mine for almost two years now.<br>3. I am
                trying to get it hooked up to the internet right now
                using OmniWeb 3.1 web browser.<br>4. Cool link: TjL's
                NeXTStep/OpenStep Site <a href=http://www.peak.org/~luomat/ target=new>http://www.peak.org/~luomat/</a>