New member here!

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 12, 2013
      Hello all, I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself.
      My name is Andrew and live in the state of Vermont USA.I am not new to astronomy or to the world of imaging albeit,not real good due to the lack of continued practice caused by the less than convenient cloud cover.I have a observatory that is home to my set up which is:a 10" Meade SN OTA and Orion 100mm guidescope mounted on a Losmandy G11. Other equipment includes a Coronado PST,90mm Meade refractor,90mm Orion refractor.Meade LXD75 mount,Meade DSI,LPI,Orion starshoot PIAG,and new to the family a Neximage 5 thanks to Santa.
      So,if you don't mind.I would like to peruse this forum for some insight and try to keep the silly questions to a minimum ..lol
      Andrew
    • Chuck Baker
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 13, 2013
        HI, Andrew!

        Welcome to the group!

        I'm new myself having just joined a couple months ago, and I am also
        new to imaging, having just done visual in the past.

        I also have the SN10 on an LXD75 mount, and a PST as well, so that is
        equipment I will be trying to apply a NexImage 5 with. All this is
        recently acquired, as I was out of astronomy for about 17 years. At
        any rate, as I learn I'll post notes here if folks won't mind.

        Cheers!

        Chuck

        At 06:08 PM 1/12/2013, you wrote:
        >Hello all, I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself.
        >My name is Andrew and live in the state of Vermont USA.I am not new
        >to astronomy or to the world of imaging albeit,not real good due to
        >the lack of continued practice caused by the less than convenient
        >cloud cover.I have a observatory that is home to my set up which
        >is:a 10" Meade SN OTA and Orion 100mm guidescope mounted on a
        >Losmandy G11. Other equipment includes a Coronado PST,90mm Meade
        >refractor,90mm Orion refractor.Meade LXD75 mount,Meade DSI,LPI,Orion
        >starshoot PIAG,and new to the family a Neximage 5 thanks to Santa.
        >So,if you don't mind.I would like to peruse this forum for some
        >insight and try to keep the silly questions to a minimum ..lol
        >Andrew

        Chuck Baker
        Newsletter Editor
        San Antonio Astronomical Association
        http://sanantonioastronomy.org/
      • Andrew
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
          Hello Chuck,it is nice to see a fellow Meade SN owner!.It will be interesting and helpful as we both trudge along with the Neximage 5.One of the learning curves (among a few others) is learning the basics of the Registax 6. I shot a couple vids of Jupiter and a half hearted attempt at the sun with the PST.
          Andrew

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
            Hi, Andrew!

            I haven't yet tried out the Neximage on the SN10, just a few
            house-tests with a small refractor. I'm going to try that this month sometime.

            Were you able to get focus with the PST and Neximage? Did it require
            reconfiguring the PST without the extension, or using a barlow?

            Thanks!

            Chuck

            At 07:57 AM 1/14/2013, you wrote:
            >Hello Chuck,it is nice to see a fellow Meade SN owner!.It will be
            >interesting and helpful as we both trudge along with the Neximage
            >5.One of the learning curves (among a few others) is learning the
            >basics of the Registax 6. I shot a couple vids of Jupiter and a half
            >hearted attempt at the sun with the PST.
            >Andrew
            >
            >--- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Baker wrote:
            > >
            > > HI, Andrew!
            > >
            > > Welcome to the group!
            > >
            > > I'm new myself having just joined a couple months ago, and I am also
            > > new to imaging, having just done visual in the past.
            > >
            > > I also have the SN10 on an LXD75 mount, and a PST as well, so that is
            > > equipment I will be trying to apply a NexImage 5 with. All this is
            > > recently acquired, as I was out of astronomy for about 17 years. At
            > > any rate, as I learn I'll post notes here if folks won't mind.
            > >
            > > Cheers!
            > >
            > > Chuck
            > >
            > > At 06:08 PM 1/12/2013, you wrote:
            > > >Hello all, I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself.
            > > >My name is Andrew and live in the state of Vermont USA.I am not new
            > > >to astronomy or to the world of imaging albeit,not real good due to
            > > >the lack of continued practice caused by the less than convenient
            > > >cloud cover.I have a observatory that is home to my set up which
            > > >is:a 10" Meade SN OTA and Orion 100mm guidescope mounted on a
            > > >Losmandy G11. Other equipment includes a Coronado PST,90mm Meade
            > > >refractor,90mm Orion refractor.Meade LXD75 mount,Meade DSI,LPI,Orion
            > > >starshoot PIAG,and new to the family a Neximage 5 thanks to Santa.
            > > >So,if you don't mind.I would like to peruse this forum for some
            > > >insight and try to keep the silly questions to a minimum ..lol
            > > >Andrew

            > > Chuck Baker
            > > Newsletter Editor
            > > San Antonio Astronomical Association
            > > http://sanantonioastronomy.org/

            Software Developer's Dilemma: The better the new feature, the more
            feature requests it will generate. - C. Baker
          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
              Hi Chuck, I wasn't able to get a good focus yet.I will need to spend some time trying to come up with a easy way of doing this. I know the Meade LPI is capable in getting a good focus. Solar imaging with Neximage 5 is a different beast.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
                Here is a update for solar imaging with a PST.
                I have gotten the neximage5 imaging the sun in h-alpha!!!
                While pondering my thoughts as to how to do this and be able to reach focus. About 6 years ago I had purchased a Maxview DSR adaptor for a-focal imaging.It came with a back focus lens that I never used.I decided to throw a hail Mary and it worked beautifully!.
                If I have some more extra time to process ,I will post the results.
                Andrew

                --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Andrew" wrote:

                > Hello Chuck,it is nice to see a fellow Meade SN owner!.It will be interesting and helpful as we both trudge along with the Neximage 5.One of the learning curves (among a few others) is learning the basics of the Registax 6. I shot a couple vids of Jupiter and a half hearted attempt at the sun with the PST.
                > Andrew
                >
                > --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Baker wrote:
                > >
                > > HI, Andrew!
                > >
                > > Welcome to the group!
                > >
                > > I'm new myself having just joined a couple months ago, and I am also
                > > new to imaging, having just done visual in the past.
                > >
                > > I also have the SN10 on an LXD75 mount, and a PST as well, so that is
                > > equipment I will be trying to apply a NexImage 5 with. All this is
                > > recently acquired, as I was out of astronomy for about 17 years. At
                > > any rate, as I learn I'll post notes here if folks won't mind.
                > >
                > > Cheers!
                > >
                > > Chuck
                > >
                > > At 06:08 PM 1/12/2013, you wrote:
                > > >Hello all, I thought I would take this opportunity to introduce myself.
                > > >My name is Andrew and live in the state of Vermont USA.I am not new
                > > >to astronomy or to the world of imaging albeit,not real good due to
                > > >the lack of continued practice caused by the less than convenient
                > > >cloud cover.I have a observatory that is home to my set up which
                > > >is:a 10" Meade SN OTA and Orion 100mm guidescope mounted on a
                > > >Losmandy G11. Other equipment includes a Coronado PST,90mm Meade
                > > >refractor,90mm Orion refractor.Meade LXD75 mount,Meade DSI,LPI,Orion
                > > >starshoot PIAG,and new to the family a Neximage 5 thanks to Santa.
                > > >So,if you don't mind.I would like to peruse this forum for some
                > > >insight and try to keep the silly questions to a minimum ..lol
                > > >Andrew

                > > Chuck Baker
                > > Newsletter Editor
                > > San Antonio Astronomical Association
                > > http://sanantonioastronomy.org/

              • Freddy Diaz
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013

                  I tried using the NI 5 with the PST and the coronado barlow, chip is very small and got a lot of newton circles on the image.

                  Freddy

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 14, 2013
                    Thanks for the info, Freddy!

                    Message 9 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                      Hi, Andrew!

                      I tried doing a bit of research via google but I'm finding the "back
                      focus lens" role still a bit confusing. What does this particular
                      lens do? What would I need to look for in order to find something
                      equivalent? Would it be similar to the adapter lens (looks and is
                      threaded like a 1.25" filter) that allows a binoviewer to come to
                      focus on a Newtonian reflector, for example?

                      Thanks for any info you can provide!

                      Chuck

                      Message 10 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                        Hi Chuck,
                        The lens is essentially a telenegative lens. The one I use screws onto the nose piece of the neximage 5. I tried using a shorty barlow with much luck. I did however, almost get the imager to focus without any aids and will be tinkering on that part of it.

                        Message 11 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                          Aha! or D'oh! ...whichever may be most appropriate. ;)

                          I gave up trying to wade through all the pages of the "back focus
                          lens" search and searched on "Maxview DSLR adapter" and then
                          subsequently "Maxpower telenegative lens" when that term kept coming
                          up. It's a 2x telenegative amplifier lens. I think the "adapter"
                          for the binoviewer is essentially the same thing, so I will give that a try.

                          :)

                          Message 12 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                            Thanks, Andrew!

                            I changed my search terms and found it, and I am pretty sure that's the same type of unit adapting the binoviewer.  I also, though, have a .5 focal reducer in the same form factor that I may give a try and see if that produces anything workable. I suspect that's actually only going to be useful for the lunar photography though.

                            Cheers!

                            Chuck

                          • William Hamblen
                            Message 13 of 13 , Feb 10, 2013
                              A focal reducer pulls the focal plane inward, so if you can't get close enough without the focal reducer, you _really_ can't get close enough with the focal reducer.

                              Bud