Re: [neximage] Wireless for NexImage?

  • MICHAEL PATEY
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2012
      just use a long usb extension - 10m is possible

      MP

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2012
        Hi Andrew,

        I think Jack is talking about active USB extenders (sometimes also
        called USB repeater cables). These are powered from the computer
        USB port and come in various lengths. They allow a USB device to
        be further away than the maximum a normal USB cable allows.
        Some folk have had luck with using several in series, but that can
        be a hit-and-miss affair, as some work without issue, some don't.
        Here is an example of a 15m USB2 active USB extension cable on Amazon UK:
        http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Active-Extension-Repeater-meters/dp/B005LMWD20/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328106985&sr=8-6

        Note that I'm not recommending that particular cable, it's just an
        example of what to look for.

        HTH,
        --
        Rob (~52N, ~1W)

      • jacques
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2012
          exaactlythe same syatem

          or so

          mine is home made

          working very well 15 meter is so good

          jack 47'n 71'W

          > Hi Andrew,
          >
          > I think Jack is talking about active USB extenders (sometimes also
          > called USB repeater cables). These are powered from the computer
          > USB port and come in various lengths. They allow a USB device to
          > be further away than the maximum a normal USB cable allows.
          > Some folk have had luck with using several in series, but that can
          > be a hit-and-miss affair, as some work without issue, some don't.
          > Here is an example of a 15m USB2 active USB extension cable on Amazon UK:
          > http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Tex-Active-Extension-Repeater-meters/dp/B005LMWD20/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1328106985&sr=8-6
          >
          > Note that I'm not recommending that particular cable, it's just an
          > example of what to look for.
          >
          > HTH,
          > --
          > Rob (~52N, ~1W)

        • jule
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2012
            I used a deer blind and set it up right by my scope,ot keep me and my computer Warm and dry.

            http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ameristep-Doghouse-Blind-Realtree-AP-Camouflage/16224755

            --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "andrew1066" <andrew1066@...> wrote:

            > First post for me. I've been a visual observer since the 90s but decided to give planetary and lunar imaging a try (got a new ES 127 ED CF last fall). I picked up one of the last NexIimage units from OPT for $95 a couple of weeks ago. Installation and setup on Win7 went smoothly and everything is working file
            > My concern is that I'm going to ruin my laptop if I use it outdoors. A typical clear night in the winter here is about 3 Celsius (36 fahrenheit) and 90% humidity. Anything taken back inside after five minutes outside immediately gets coated in condensation. Not a problem for the scope but eventual death for a laptop. I was wondering if there are any wireless / bluetooth adaptors available that I could plug the NexImage into outside that would allow me to leave the laptop inside. Any thoughts?
            > Thanks

          • Andrew
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 2, 2012
              Thanks to everyone who replied. A USB extension worked just fine and I acheived moderate succes on the first try (photo posted in my album). Now I just have to rig up a temporary weather strip on the sliding door that the cable is coming through.

              --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, MICHAEL PATEY <mpatey@...> wrote:

              > just use a long usb extension - 10m is possible
              >

              > MP
              >

              > ________________________________

            • imontam
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 3, 2012
                Hi Andrew,
                I've used both methods for quite some time without any major problems, i.e. using the laptop outside in extreme cold (-20C for several hours), and alternatively having the Neximage linked to an indoor computer via 60 feet of USB extension cables (the "active" variety). In the indoor setup, I also control the telescope itself with RS232 cables and Celestron's NexRemote software. When using the laptop outside, I usually place it in a 3-sided box to keep frost away, or to simply cover if I have to leave it unattended for any lenght of time. At the end of the session, I usually put it in a closed laptop case before bringing it in so that the air in the case warms to room temperature gradually so as to minimize condensation. An annoying part of imaging in cold conditions is how it can beak wires. In the cold, the wires get rigid and brittle, and usually end up braking at flexing points. So wires have to be checked often. The USB cable in my original Neximage ended up cracking just where it enters the casing, and had to be replaced. But that was after about 3 years of use.

                Bye, Monti.
              • jacques
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 4, 2012
                  at minus 30'c i used a magnetic heater on my truc

                  because the block heater is not so so

                  we need more because som time it goo to minus 40'c

                  but the magnetic heater probaly do not have any tehermostat or control on
                  it
                  you need to whatch it to do not burn anything

                  just a suggestion

                  jack 47'n 71'W

                  some time at 50'N 80'W