Re: The Sun

  • imontam
    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 3, 2011
      Hi Bill,
      I've also used the Neximage on the sun, using a Celestron solar filter. Works fine. As others have said, its a question of getting the settings right for such a bright objet. And also a big object, since I used an SC8. I added the Neximage's 0.5 reducer and an f/6.3 reducer to increase the FOV. Even with the solar jfilter, the shutter speed I ended up using was 1/2000 sec. Gain and gamma at zero. Brightness about 50%. Those are the settings that worked for my SC8 and solar filter. Using the metallic-coated filter, the images were B&W. Even with the two reducers, a portion of the sun was enough to fill the FOV, and I used the sun's edge to find focus, before panning around to find sun spots. The result is a zoomed-in image. A smaller aperture scope would be needed to get the entire sun in the FOV. I intend trying it sometime with my 80mm guide scope.

      Monti.