NexImage Camera "Snow"

  • Randy
    Message 1 of 10 , May 13, 2011
      I have a NexStar 130SLT computerized telescope with a Neximage camera hooked up to my HP laptop computer running a 64bit version of windows 7 Ultimate.
      I have both Amcap and Craterlet installed on my laptop and have tried to use both.
      Each time I try to use the camera, the image I get in the software can only be compared to the interference you would see on a TV with poor reception. If the object I'm trying to observe is bright enough, say a full moon, I can see the image in the background but the interference is still there but not as extreme. Ive tried changing the filters I use on the Neximage and in case it was an issue with the usb adapter (rs to usb)I purchased a second one of a different brand and the interference is still there.
      Any ideas on what I need to do?
    • Worsel
      Message 2 of 10 , May 14, 2011
        Randy: Even a bright full moon will not cause the interference that you describe. Something else is wrong. All I can think of is to try replacing the bits and see if the signal improves.

        Do you have access to another PC, another scope, another NexImage camera?

        Bryan

        --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <randym292@...> wrote:

        > I have a NexStar 130SLT computerized telescope with a Neximage camera hooked up to my HP laptop computer running a 64bit version of windows 7 Ultimate.
        > I have both Amcap and Craterlet installed on my laptop and have tried to use both.
        > Each time I try to use the camera, the image I get in the software can only be compared to the interference you would see on a TV with poor reception. If the object I'm trying to observe is bright enough, say a full moon, I can see the image in the background but the interference is still there but not as extreme. Ive tried changing the filters I use on the Neximage and in case it was an issue with the usb adapter (rs to usb)I purchased a second one of a different brand and the interference is still there.
        > Any ideas on what I need to do?

      • Randy
        Message 3 of 10 , May 14, 2011
          Its the only scope and camera I have, I will try another laptop to see if thats the issue. Im not sure what you mean when you say "replacing the bits".. less its the parts you explained in your response.
          Thank you for your help

        • metalflash@gmx.de
          Message 4 of 10 , May 15, 2011
            Hi Randy,

            this sounds a bit like high frequency getting into the camera
            electronics. Do you have anything like a radio staton in the vicinity?
            Could you upload a picture into the files section?
            I had such case and fixed it by wrapping the camera in aluminum foil. A
            ferrite on the cable may also be helpful.

            Regards

            Dieter
          • Freddy Diaz
            Message 5 of 10 , May 15, 2011

              Have you tried daylight exposure?

              On May 15, 2011 1:25 AM, "Randy" <randym292@...> wrote:

              Its the only scope and camera I have, I will try another laptop to see if thats the issue. Im not sure what you mean when you say "replacing the bits".. less its the parts you explained in your response.
              Thank you for your help

              --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Worsel" <bryancashion@...> wrote:

              > Randy: Even a bright full ...

            • don
              Message 6 of 10 , May 15, 2011
                hi. sounds like to me that the cam is nt set back enough. i bought an extender  on ebay , that did it forme . just my two cents worth. clear skys

                Its the only scope and camera I have, I will try another laptop to see if thats the issue. Im not sure what you mean when you say "replacing the bits".. less its the parts you explained in your response.
                Thank you for your help

                --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Worsel" <bryancashion@...> wrote:

                > Randy: Even a bright full moon will not cause the interference that you describe. Something else is wrong. All I can think of is to try replacing the bits and see if the signal improves.
                >
                > Do you have access to another PC, another scope, another NexImage camera?
                >
                > Bryan
                >
                > --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <randym292@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I have a NexStar 130SLT computerized telescope with a Neximage camera hooked up to my HP laptop computer running a 64bit version of windows 7 Ultimate.
                > > I have both Amcap and Craterlet installed on my laptop and have tried to use both.
                > > Each time I try to use the camera, the image I get in the software can only be compared to the interference you would see on a TV with poor reception. If the object I'm trying to observe is bright enough, say a full moon, I can see the image in the background but the interference is still there but not as extreme. Ive tried changing the filters I use on the Neximage and in case it was an issue with the usb adapter (rs to usb)I purchased a second one of a different brand and the interference is still there.
                > > Any ideas on what I need to do?

              • Worsel
                Message 7 of 10 , May 15, 2011
                  Randy: Poor choice of words on my part...sorry.

                  I meant to try replacing each of the major components one at a time (camera,scope, PC) to see if replacing one of them improves the picture.

                  Bryan

                  --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <randym292@...> wrote:

                  > Its the only scope and camera I have, I will try another laptop to see if thats the issue. Im not sure what you mean when you say "replacing the bits".. less its the parts you explained in your response.
                  > Thank you for your help
                  >
                  > --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Worsel" <bryancashion@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Randy: Even a bright full moon will not cause the interference that you describe. Something else is wrong. All I can think of is to try replacing the bits and see if the signal improves.
                  > >
                  > > Do you have access to another PC, another scope, another NexImage camera?
                  > >
                  > > Bryan
                  > >
                  > > --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <randym292@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I have a NexStar 130SLT computerized telescope with a Neximage camera hooked up to my HP laptop computer running a 64bit version of windows 7 Ultimate.
                  > > > I have both Amcap and Craterlet installed on my laptop and have tried to use both.
                  > > > Each time I try to use the camera, the image I get in the software can only be compared to the interference you would see on a TV with poor reception. If the object I'm trying to observe is bright enough, say a full moon, I can see the image in the background but the interference is still there but not as extreme. Ive tried changing the filters I use on the Neximage and in case it was an issue with the usb adapter (rs to usb)I purchased a second one of a different brand and the interference is still there.
                  > > > Any ideas on what I need to do?

                • imontam
                  Message 8 of 10 , May 19, 2011
                    Hi,
                    Another possibility, depending on the exact pattern of interference: it has often been mentioned before that using certain "frame rates" (transfer speed of the frames from the camera to the laptop during capture) in conjunction with certain "shutter speeds" results in squiggly patterns of interference across the image. You could vary the frame rate to check this out.

                    Monti.

                    --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <randym292@...> wrote:

                    > I have a NexStar 130SLT computerized telescope with a Neximage camera hooked up to my HP laptop computer running a 64bit version of windows 7 Ultimate.
                    > I have both Amcap and Craterlet installed on my laptop and have tried to use both.
                    > Each time I try to use the camera, the image I get in the software can only be compared to the interference you would see on a TV with poor reception. If the object I'm trying to observe is bright enough, say a full moon, I can see the image in the background but the interference is still there but not as extreme. Ive tried changing the filters I use on the Neximage and in case it was an issue with the usb adapter (rs to usb)I purchased a second one of a different brand and the interference is still there.
                    > Any ideas on what I need to do?

                  • paddy
                    Message 9 of 10 , May 19, 2011
                      Hi,
                      I was using my neximage last night and tried a few different settings to try and replicate your interferance patterns, and as Monti suggested certain combination also caused bad image quality. Particulary if I tried to focus on a star using the slowest shutter speed and raising the FPS to 15 or more. Normally I only use 5FPS as i have done the RAW firmware mod and a higher FPS rate disables it or something.

                      Personally I use Qfocus or WXastrocapture as I find them easier to use with less hassle :)

                      Paddy

                      --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "imontam" <monti@...> wrote:

                      > Hi,
                      > Another possibility, depending on the exact pattern of interference: it has often been mentioned before that using certain "frame rates" (transfer speed of the frames from the camera to the laptop during capture) in conjunction with certain "shutter speeds" results in squiggly patterns of interference across the image. You could vary the frame rate to check this out.
                      >
                      > Monti.
                      >

                      > --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Randy" <randym292@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I have a NexStar 130SLT computerized telescope with a Neximage camera hooked up to my HP laptop computer running a 64bit version of windows 7 Ultimate.
                      > > I have both Amcap and Craterlet installed on my laptop and have tried to use both.
                      > > Each time I try to use the camera, the image I get in the software can only be compared to the interference you would see on a TV with poor reception. If the object I'm trying to observe is bright enough, say a full moon, I can see the image in the background but the interference is still there but not as extreme. Ive tried changing the filters I use on the Neximage and in case it was an issue with the usb adapter (rs to usb)I purchased a second one of a different brand and the interference is still there.
                      > > Any ideas on what I need to do?

                    • Randy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 16, 2011
                        This issues has been resolved sent the camera back to Celestron for repair and they sent me out a new one, the newer model with the USB
                        connector. Hooked it up to my laptop and everything is in clear.
                        Took a few captures of the moon to test it out and experiment with
                        registax a bit. Still saving up for adbobe cs5 so wont be able to do much more till I have that.
                        Thank you Celestron for fixing this problem for me.
                        clear skies...