Re: Neximage and the Blue Screen of Death - SOLVED!

  • john648@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 1 8:32 AM
      Hello Nextimage Members,

      It is nice to post some good news. My laptop and AMcap are getting along just fine!

      I probably should have done this sooner, but I contacted Celestron Tech Support. They told me uninstall everything, and then go to the support tab in their on-line catalog. I downloaded the drivers, AMcap, and Registrax from that location, and everything worked well.

      I *think* that my problem was that I never installed the camera drivers, and the application used some drivers in the Windows archive. I had skipped the camera driver installation from the CD because it was labeled as applying to Windows 7.

      At any rate, it works now. If anyone is having this trouble, just let me know.

      Thank you to all who gave me suggestions.

      lookin' up,

      John

      --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "john648@..." <john648@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone!
      >
      > This is a problem which has been covered in a couple of threads, which tells me that I'm not alone:
      >
      > I installed the Neximage on a HP Pavillion laptop, roughly 5 years old. It runs Windows XP SP3.
      >
      > When I started the app, I got a Windows message: "The procedure entry point strcat_s could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dll"
      >
      > I continued anyway.
      >
      > When I selected "Preview" on AMcap, the images were displayed in the preview screen for about 3 minutes, and then the computer flashed a blue screen full of text, and then restarted. The blue screen was visible for only 1-2 seconds.
      >
      > On subsequent trials, the blue screen appeared immediately upon selecting "Preview".
      >
      > I went through a Microsoft procedure to repair msvcrt.dll, using the Windows installation disk. This eliminated the message, but the blue-screen/restart problem continued.
      >
      > At one point, I thought I saw a message about my Kaspersky Internet Security, but I didn't get the details.
      >
      > I removed and reinstalled the software several times.
      >
      > I'm not a great computer geek, but I have one symptom which someone else might recognize:
      >
      > On the first use, I got about 3 minutes of video before the crash, while subsequent trials got an immediate crash.
      >
      > a. Perhaps there is a file accumulating video data, which gets full, and doesn't get handled properly. On the retrials, this supposed file is still full from the first try.
      >
      > b. Perhaps it takes a while for the conflict to develop (or be detected) on the first try. On the retrials, the system is already prepared to deal with it.
      >
      > My next move will be to install it on our XP desktop computer, and look for problems. If it works, that wouldn't solve my problem, as I don't want to carry the desktop machine outside!
      >
      > If we can solve this, a lot of people would benefit.
      >
      > Do you suppose the finder would get an "Attaboy" from Celestron?
      >
      > Lookin' Up,
      >
      > John

    • tonydelcastilho
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 22, 2011
        Helllo NexImage members,

        I just joined your group as a new user of the NexImage kit from Celestron, having had the same 'Blue Screen of Death' problem, which took me about one week and a pound of frustration to solve.

        However, while I experienced the same or similar symptoms as many of you had, my fix involved a few different steps and tweaks, which I will be happy to share if anyone out there has not yet been able to fix their problem.

        And yes, I also contacted Celestron support and tried their recommendation - downloading the drivers and software from their site, but that did not solve my problem.

        I'm using a HP Compaq 2510P notebook, running Windows XP (Purchased when Vista was first released and still had bugs, so I had the dealer wipe Vista and load XP with SP3)

        My laptop and AMCap are also now getting along fine and no more blue screens of death.

        Clear Skies
        Tony

> [...]
        > >
        > > I'm not a great computer geek, but I have one symptom which someone else might recognize:
        > >
        > > On the first use, I got about 3 minutes of video before the crash, while subsequent trials got an immediate crash.
        > >
        > > a. Perhaps there is a file accumulating video data, which gets full, and doesn't get handled properly. On the retrials, this supposed file is still full from the first try.
        > >
        > > b. Perhaps it takes a while for the conflict to develop (or be detected) on the first try. On the retrials, the system is already prepared to deal with it.
        > >
        > > My next move will be to install it on our XP desktop computer, and look for problems. If it works, that wouldn't solve my problem, as I don't want to carry the desktop machine outside!
        > >
        > > If we can solve this, a lot of people would benefit.
        > >
        > > Do you suppose the finder would get an "Attaboy" from Celestron?

      • muguinho2000
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 25, 2011
          Please, let us know your steps to solve.
          Thanks
          Fernando

          --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "tonydelcastilho" <tonydel77@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > > >
          > > > I'm not a great computer geek, but I have one symptom which someone else might recognize:
          > > >
          > > > On the first use, I got about 3 minutes of video before the crash, while subsequent trials got an immediate crash.
          > > >
          > > > a. Perhaps there is a file accumulating video data, which gets full, and doesn't get handled properly. On the retrials, this supposed file is still full from the first try.
          > > >
          > > > b. Perhaps it takes a while for the conflict to develop (or be detected) on the first try. On the retrials, the system is already prepared to deal with it.
          > > >
          > > > My next move will be to install it on our XP desktop computer, and look for problems. If it works, that wouldn't solve my problem, as I don't want to carry the desktop machine outside!
          > > >
          > > > If we can solve this, a lot of people would benefit.
          > > >
          > > > Do you suppose the finder would get an "Attaboy" from Celestron?

        • John Manney
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 25, 2011
            Hi everyone!

            It has been a few months since I worked on this, but I think one problem is in the installation instructions.  There is a step to "Install drivers for Windows 7", or something to that effect.  Since I have Windows XP, I skipped that step.  Maybe I should have continued?

            I went another route to solve the problem, but you may want to keep going with the driver installation when you get to the step called "Install drivers for Windows 7".

            lookin' up,

            John

> [...]

            > > > I'm not a great computer geek, but I have one symptom which someone else might recognize:
            > > >
            > > > On the first use, I got about 3 minutes of video before the crash, while subsequent trials got an immediate crash.
            > > >
            > > > a. Perhaps there is a file accumulating video data, which gets full, and doesn't get handled properly. On the retrials, this supposed file is still full from the first try.
            > > >
            > > > b. Perhaps it takes a while for the conflict to develop (or be detected) on the first try. On the retrials, the system is already prepared to deal with it.
            > > >
            > > > My next move will be to install it on our XP desktop computer, and look for problems. If it works, that wouldn't solve my problem, as I don't want to carry the desktop machine outside!
            > > >
            > > > If we can solve this, a lot of people would benefit.
            > > >
            > > > Do you suppose the finder would get an "Attaboy" from Celestron?

          • tonydelcastilho
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 25, 2011
              Here is what I did:
              1 - Missing msvcrt.dll file was re-installed in the Windows/system32 directory (Had to source this from a Bing search)
              2 - Used Registry Booster to scan and repair registry.(Possibly not a related issue, but was part of my process while resolving the issue)
              3 - Selected one of the drivers which I finally downloaded from Celestron's Support tab, but had to use trial and error to come up with the only one which works: CamCoA20. The other two, CamAuA20 and CamViA20 were causing the blue screens. Can't understand the rationale of the naming convention as it relates to Windows 7 or XP. The 'Vi' in CamViA20 gives that one away as a Vista driver, but the other two still baffle me.
              4 - Noticed that the Windows Driver Install Wizard was always installing the imager under "Sound, Video & Game Controllers" instead of under 'Imaging Devices' so I used the manual install to force the driver to be installed as an Imaging Device.

              Hope this helps.
              Clear skies,
              Tony

              --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "muguinho2000" <fmagalhaes1@...> wrote:

              > Please, let us know your steps to solve.
              > Thanks
              > Fernando
              >
              > --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "tonydelcastilho" <tonydel77@> wrote:
              > >

              > > Helllo NexImage members,
              > >
              > > I just joined your group as a new user of the NexImage kit from Celestron, having had the same 'Blue Screen of Death' problem, which took me about one week and a pound of frustration to solve.
              > >
              > > However, while I experienced the same or similar symptoms as many of you had, my fix involved a few different steps and tweaks, which I will be happy to share if anyone out there has not yet been able to fix their problem.
              > >
              > > And yes, I also contacted Celestron support and tried their recommendation - downloading the drivers and software from their site, but that did not solve my problem.
              > >
              > > I'm using a HP Compaq 2510P notebook, running Windows XP (Purchased when Vista was first released and still had bugs, so I had the dealer wipe Vista and load XP with SP3)
              > >
              > > My laptop and AMCap are also now getting along fine and no more blue screens of death.
              > >
              > > Clear Skies
              > > Tony
              > >
              > > --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "john648@" <john648@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Hello Nextimage Members,
              > > >
              > > > It is nice to post some good news. My laptop and AMcap are getting along just fine!
              > > >
              > > > I probably should have done this sooner, but I contacted Celestron Tech Support. They told me uninstall everything, and then go to the support tab in their on-line catalog. I downloaded the drivers, AMcap, and Registrax from that location, and everything worked well.
              > > >
              > > > I *think* that my problem was that I never installed the camera drivers, and the application used some drivers in the Windows archive. I had skipped the camera driver installation from the CD because it was labeled as applying to Windows 7.
              > > >
              > > > At any rate, it works now. If anyone is having this trouble, just let me know.
              > > >
              > > > Thank you to all who gave me suggestions.
              > > >
              > > > lookin' up,
              > > >
              > > > John

            • tonydelcastilho
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 26, 2011
                One other thing - make sure to use a USB 2.0 port. NexImage does not work with USB 1.0

                Clear Skies
                Tony