jupiter 1st try

  • darbyvet8se
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2010
      Hello group.
      I just got a neximage camera and I took my first Jupiter image a couple of nights ago.
      I have a celestron nexstar 8SE.I put the neximage in the diagonal without a Barlow lens and recorded 90 seconds.
      I used 30fps and turned the gain and brightness and gamma to about 25%.
      Seeing was 2/5 according to clearsky chart.
      I ended up with 1200 usable frames that I stacked with Registax and tweaked the image with the wavelet functions and resized to 200%.
      I posted the image in the album titled "darbyvet8se".
      I would love some feedback on the photo.

      I think the focus was OK and I did get some detail, but I think the image is overexposed -either that or Jupiters red spot has grown suddenly!
      I dont know why the image is black and white instead of color.
      I did try with the Barlow, but I couldnt get jupiter into the frame.
      Is it possible for the standard 8SE alt/AZ mount to accurately track Jupiter if I have the Barlow lens in?

      Thanks in advance
      Carl
    • Ronald
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2010
        Did you check the "Colour" box in RegiStax? If the individual frames have color, then RegiStax should produce a colored final result. Also, 30fps seems high, I usually use 5fps.

        --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "darbyvet8se" <darbyvet8se@...> wrote:

        > Hello group.
        > I just got a neximage camera and I took my first Jupiter image a couple of nights ago.
        > I have a celestron nexstar 8SE.I put the neximage in the diagonal without a Barlow lens and recorded 90 seconds.
        > I used 30fps and turned the gain and brightness and gamma to about 25%.
        > Seeing was 2/5 according to clearsky chart.
        > I ended up with 1200 usable frames that I stacked with Registax and tweaked the image with the wavelet functions and resized to 200%.
        > I posted the image in the album titled "darbyvet8se".
        > I would love some feedback on the photo.
        >
        > I think the focus was OK and I did get some detail, but I think the image is overexposed -either that or Jupiters red spot has grown suddenly!
        > I dont know why the image is black and white instead of color.
        > I did try with the Barlow, but I couldnt get jupiter into the frame.
        > Is it possible for the standard 8SE alt/AZ mount to accurately track Jupiter if I have the Barlow lens in?
        >
        > Thanks in advance
        > Carl

      • darbyvet8se
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 3, 2010
          Thanks Ron,
          the images appeared grey on the AVI that I captured.I did check the color box in Registax.Maybe I underexposed the images by setting too high a frame rate.I will try 5fps next time.

          Carl