Re: [neximage] Thread Spec for NexImage Nose Piece

  • Iain Barker
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 1, 2010
      I have definitely been able to unscrew the nosepiece and screw the reducer lens directly into the neximage body, so those threads match.

      I know I have also screwed the reducer into the nosepiece threads when I put it away for storage, so those match also.

      As my moon filter fits into the nosepiece, it seems to me like they are all the same thread, or at least close enough that they fit.

      I'm not home right now, but will check this out tonight to confirm.

      ___________________
      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 31, 2010, at 10:15 PM, "Freddy Diaz" <freddy.diazg@...> wrote:

      No, the nose piece tread is not the same as the one in the filters… it is for sure bigger

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
        OK, so as promised I followed up on this last night.

        The outside and inside diameter of the NexImage threads measures the same as a 1-1/4" filter, and I am able to easily screw filters onto it finger tight. But when I tried a longer thread (the lens from a GSO ED barlow) it does start to bind after about 3 to 4 full turns.

        Looking more closely, Freddy is correct that the thread is actually different. The diameter is the same but the thread pitch is slightly coarser on both ends of the NexImage nosepiece and reducer lens.

        I must say I'm surprised that at least the internal thread on the nosepiece isn't the standard filter thread. But then again for a filter I guess it doesn't really matter too much as they are lightweight and there is enough slack for them to fit.

        Plus, most filters don't expose much thread and my moon filter has fairly low quality threads which further masked the mismatch - I can screw it in all the way 4 full turns with no binding!

        I'd take a guess that the real thread pitch on the NexImage is maybe 36TPI compared to 42TPI on a standard eyepiece, but there isn't enough exposed thread for me to count by eye and I don't have a thread gauge to measure it, sorry.

        For your purpose - to mount the NexImage body directly onto a 1-1/4" T2 adapter won't be an exact fit, but might be 'good enough' - especially if you are doing this semi-permanently and don't mind it binding after a few turns (with risk of damaging the threads if you overtighten, of course).

        --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, Iain Barker <iwbarker@...> wrote:

        > I have definitely been able to unscrew the nosepiece and screw the reducer lens directly into the neximage body, so those threads match.
        >
        > I know I have also screwed the reducer into the nosepiece threads when I put it away for storage, so those match also.
        >
        > As my moon filter fits into the nosepiece, it seems to me like they are all the same thread, or at least close enough that they fit.
        >
        > I'm not home right now, but will check this out tonight to confirm.
        >
        > ___________________
        > Sent from my iPhone
        >
        > On May 31, 2010, at 10:15 PM, "Freddy Diaz" <freddy.diazg@...> wrote:
        >

        > No, the nose piece tread is not the same as the one in the filters… it is for sure bigger

      • Stephen McIntyre
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
          Thanks. I agree from your description that using a filter thread spec would suffice.

          I'm not sure where I am going with this though. I though maybe if I had the thread spec i could search for an adapter. Failing that, I thought maybe I could make one if i could find a die for the neximage thread and a tap for the t2 end. I have a simple lathe so I can turn a barrel down to size but can't cut threads.

          So far I have not found either a suitable adaptor ie t2 to filter thread. Or the taps or dies. Same issue with the cs-mount for my security cam.

          Guess i'll go with the 1-1/4" to t2 adapter that TS has and use my neximage with the nose piece.

          Just that the TS adapters are back ordered. Ugh!

          Stephen