Mars

  • smwilcox2002
    Message 1 of 48 , Jan 3, 2010
      I need help to get a good image of Mars. I am using a Meade 2X barlow with my Neximage on a CPC800. Should I stay with the 2X barlow or go to something more powerful. I am using a Meade flip-mirror to help find the planet---this saves so much!!! Comments on the camera settings will also be very helpful. I learned a lot on Jupiter but I know I can do better. Ohio weather still sucks.

      Thanks
      Tim
    • jimborm@aol.com
      Message 48 of 48 , Mar 2 8:26 AM
        Monti,
        Thank you.  The only processing I did on these two images was wavelet tweaking with Registax 5.0.  Also adjusted contrast and saturation before saving to a jpeg file.  Both images were taken with the same telescope and Barlow (2.5x) so the image scales are equal.  No cropping was done.  You can therefore see how much Mars has changed in angular diameter in just three weeks. I just uploaded another image to my folder showing the Feb. 8 image in comparison with a graphic representation from GUIDE 8 (Projectpluto.com) sky simulation software.  The graphic is based on a Viking image. I use GUIDE 8 to control the telescope.
        Jim M.

        In a message dated 3/2/2010 8:27:36 A.M. Mountain Standard Time, monti@... writes:

        Hi Jim,
        Real nice images!... You get more detail and sharpness with your C11. Did you do much processing? With my C8 pictures, I have to process considerably. Your latest one (1st March) has a particularly nice color quality to it (why not put it in the submit folder). And it seems to cover about the same area of Mars as seen in mine (the 22 feb pic... though I cant be positively sure), so it could be interesting to compare the two. Matching what I see in my images to the real martian terrain is not always easy, depending on the area. Sometimes, oversharpening can create ficticious terrain details, so one has to be careful. I have some specialized books on Mars, and have downloaded a couple of interactive Mars maps that are very helpful.

        Bye, Monti.