Jupiter, 4 moons, and a shadow.

  • imontam
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2008
      Hi,
      I've started processing some of the approx 150 short avis done
      since mid-august in order to plot moons orbits around Jupiter. The
      avis are about 200 images long, and dont aim to get quality images.
      The object is simply to position the moons. But, nevertheless, I get
      many surprises. Like this sequence of avis on 16-17 sept, about 03
      UT. Jupiter is at 9 deg elevation. There are 4 moons lined, up, (L to
      R: Callisto, Ganymede, Io, and Europa). And Ganymede's shadow is seen
      on Jupiter. Note: my last posted image was also from 16 sept, but
      earlier, about 0:30 UT, showing Ganymede transit and what I thought
      was its shadow underneath. Well, it was only Ganemede, no shadow! The
      shadow appeared on Jupiter 3 hours later. But as luck would have it,
      I had avis taken at that very time, and, yes, there was the shadow.
      This image is obtained from these avis, taken at approx 03 UT, 17
      sept. NI and SC8. Processed with Virtualdub, Registax4 and Photoshop
      CS2.

      Link to image in Monti's Pictiues 1... click on "Large" for good view:

      Bye, Monti.