Jupiter 8-30-08 9pm EST

  • kkmonte@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2008
      Hi all, here is my Jupiter from last night.  Jupiter seems almost as hard as mars to image, I'm not very good at it.  This is my best jupiter so far I think, scope is Orion XT8i (8" dob mounted on atlas eq mount) using neximage and shorty plus barlow (shooting it at approx. f12).  Seeing wasn't that great last night but maybe I should have tried using another barlow to be at f24, but i didn't. =)  I know its not as good as you veteran people (like monti) however its the best I can seem to do with my conditions here and current setup.  I actually ordered an orion starshoot 2 solar system imager to compare.  We'll see how it works.

      I'm just adding my picture to my email (I have this group going to my email address), i' m not sure how to upload to the site so sorry if you can't see my picture.

      Ken

    • imontam
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
        Hi Ken,
        Jupiter is very difficult to image right now especially because
        it is so low in the sky. But it's also a good opportunity to push our
        imaging techniques to their limits. Your picture is very good, except
        that on my screen the planet is way darker than the moons which
        appear as pretty bright points. But it may be different on another
        screen. Your telescope doesn't have the same specs as mine, so it is
        difficult to comment on the settings. But did you image planet and
        moons in the same avi capture? I think that would be pretty hard to
        do (very different luminosities at high magnification). I usually
        image the planet alone, then do another overexposed capture at the
        same magnification to include the the moons. The two images have to
        be combined in something like Photoshop. Good work!

        Bye, Monti.

      • kkmonte@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
          yea that's what I did, I overexposed to get the moons then plopped jupiter on top of the overexposed sun looking jupiter.  Yea it was only about 15 degrees in dec right now but its still tough.

        • Michael Webster
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 2, 2008
            Excellent work!!!  Don't under estimate yourself.  I am going to save this.