Re: [neximage] Re: RegiStax 4 Question

  • rightquiet@aol.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
      Charles and Rob:
      If you mean that there are "borders" on the left and right side of the processed image that appear to be unprocessed, then you may not have checked  the "process all" box (or something like that) at the beginning of the processing procedure. At least, that's what happened to me.
      I may be totally off-base here by not understanding your complaint and/or not providing the correct solution, but I am sure someone more experienced that I am will chime in shortly. Meanwhile, if its clear where you are, keep imaging!
      Peter
      NYC

      In a message dated 10/31/2006 5:27:16 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, lrgmservices@... writes:
      I'm getting these lines too - but no clue as to why! Have posted a
      (very rough) image of Clavius in "Files" section with these lines
      (look closely for irregular 4-sided figure approximately encompassing
      crater).  Any ideas?

      Cheers-
      Rob

      --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "greedyshark" <greedyshark@...> wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > Brand new member here.  Just picked up a NexImage about a week ago
      and
      > downloaded the RegiStax 4 package earlier today.  Question...when I
      > opt for the multi-alignment scenario and start manipulating the
      > wavelet filters I can see what appears to be boundaries in the final
      > image.  Anyone know what is causing this to occur?
      >
      > Charles

    • greedyshark
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
        Peter,
        No...this is not the borders issue you describe. Something else is
        going on. I've posted a jpg to my photo folder (greedyshark). Look
        carefully and you can see internal boundaries within the image.
        Additionally, I found that radical settings to the wavelet filters
        resulted in much more pronounced boundaries. My bet is that this has
        some connection to the multi-alignment processing.

        My apologies for the image quality...this was my very first attempt
        with the NexImage. The clouds were moving in and the scope wasn't
        cooled properly.

        Charles

      • rightquiet@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
          Charles,
          I regret that I don't see the effect you've described, but I'm a newbie like you. (See my first shot in photos under "Peter NYC," (ugh).
          Perhaps by tonight some more experienced images will be replying.
          Clear skies,
          Peter
          NYC

          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
            Peter,
            They're hard to pick out, but definitely there. I've re-processed
            the same image using fewer (and different) alignment points...same
            results, although the boundary artifacts are fewer and, as I
            suspected, in different locations...this anomaly has to be tied to
            multi-alignment. I played with the wavelet filters to make the
            artifacts easier to pick out. Photo posted to greedyshark folder.

            Charles

            --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, rightquiet@... wrote:

            > Charles,
            > I regret that I don't see the effect you've described, but I'm a
            newbie like
            > you. (See my first shot in photos under "Peter NYC," (ugh).
            > Perhaps by tonight some more experienced images will be replying.
            > Clear skies,
            > Peter
            > NYC
            >
            > In a message dated 11/1/2006 1:35:29 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
            > greedyshark@... writes:
            >
            > Peter,
            > No...this is not the borders issue you describe. Something else
            is
            > going on. I've posted a jpg to my photo folder (greedyshark).
            Look
            > carefully and you can see internal boundaries within the image.
            > Additionally, I found that radical settings to the wavelet filters
            > resulted in much more pronounced boundaries. My bet is that this
            has
            > some connection to the multi-alignment processing.
            >
            > My apologies for the image quality...this was my very first
            attempt
            > with the NexImage. The clouds were moving in and the scope wasn't
            > cooled properly.
            >
            > Charles

          • Brian
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2006
              Charles,

              My 2 cents on this:
              I tested the multi-stacking on an old Saturn AVI and it put a cut
              across the planet between the 2 points. That was my only test.

              Using single alignment point works just fine and Regi4 works better
              than 3. Try not make it too complicated would be my 2 cents.

              I do see the cut line better in the Clavius photos and this is
              similar to what I had with multi-stacking. I have had great success
              with the single alignment point of Regi3, see my bnd1430 folder.

              Work on the camera settings first and get to know what it can do and
              what gives the best results and use a single alignment point. You
              will be amazed what Registax and a Neximager can do!

              Best regards,

              Brian Davis
              Now US$ 0.02 less affluent

              - In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "greedyshark" <greedyshark@...> wrote:

              > Hi all,
              > Brand new member here. Just picked up a NexImage about a week ago
              and
              > downloaded the RegiStax 4 package earlier today. Question...when I
              > opt for the multi-alignment scenario and start manipulating the
              > wavelet filters I can see what appears to be boundaries in the
              final
              > image. Anyone know what is causing this to occur?
              >
              > Charles

            • Cor Berrevoets & Aylin Erkman
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2006
                Hi Charles,

                You have won the bet :) RegiStax cuts images in segments during
                multi-alignment processing. If these segments are - due to seeing
                problems - stretched/compressed irregular the final stack might show
                these artefacts. The "feather" option on the stacking page can reduce
                these effects by "feathering" X pixels on either side of the joining
                linges of the alignment-sections.

                cheers

                Cor

              • greedyshark
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2006
                  Hi Cor,
                  So are you saying that the artifacts are, in part, an indication of
                  seeing...the better the seeing, the less pronounced the artifact?

                  Charles

                  --- In neximage@yahoogroups.com, "Cor Berrevoets & Aylin Erkman"

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 2, 2006
                    Hi Charles,

                    Not necessarily. The seeing plays indeed an important game but with
                    perfect seeing you never should use multi-point alignment since the
                    images will not be distorted. Also if your alignmentpoint is too close
                    to the edge some frames might give the "off-screen" message. These
                    frames than can be registered less good. In your case (images in
                    photosection) you can cure this effect probably by using the feather
                    option at the stackingpage.
                    Cor