NewsML toolkit and Reuters NewsML

  • Peter Nelson
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
      I have been trying out the NewsML toolkit.  The demo explorer application processes IPTC NewsML documents but will not process
      Reuters NewsML documents.   As far as I can tell this is because of the slight differences in standards between the two.
      Could anyone confirm this for me please?  If this is the case then in order to process the Reuters NewsML documents in Java, one would have to build an application that would traverse the DOM tree and instantiate objects from this data.  Is this the case?
      thanks in advance,
      Pete
    • Anthony Allday
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
        Pete,

        This will indeed be the case.

        The current feed of Reuters content that you are receiving "pre-dates" the
        ratification of NewsML as a standard by the membership of the IPTC. It utilises
        a prototype of NewsML which Reuters developed back in 1999 and has been
        delivering via its IDS channel since March last year. The toolkit for handling
        IPTC NewsML will not therefore currently work on the feed you are receiving. If
        you have a query regarding the existing Reuters DTD we can help you directly -
        perhaps we could handle this directly, off-line from the e-group.

        For the interest of yourself and others, Reuters intends to release an RTRS
        NewsML to IPTC NewsML "transform" in the very near future. I presume you would
        be interested in testing this?

        /Tony

        |--------+----------------------->
        | | Peter Nelson |
        | | <pete@zonegro|
        | | up.com> |
        | | |
        | | 01/05/01 |
        | | 10:38 AM |
        | | Please |
        | | respond to |
        | | newsml |
        | | |
        |--------+----------------------->
        | |
        | To: newsml@egroups.com |
        | cc: (bcc: Anthony Allday/LON/GB/Reuters) |
        | Subject: [newsml] NewsML toolkit and Reuters NewsML |
        | Header: Internal Use Only |

        I have been trying out the NewsML toolkit. The demo explorer application
        processes IPTC NewsML documents but will not process
        Reuters NewsML documents. As far as I can tell this is because of the slight
        differences in standards between the two.
        Could anyone confirm this for me please? If this is the case then in order to
        process the Reuters NewsML documents in Java, one would have to build an
        application that would traverse the DOM tree and instantiate objects from this
        data. Is this the case?
        thanks in advance,
        Pete

        the views of Reuters Ltd.
      • David Megginson
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
          Peter Nelson writes:

          > I have been trying out the NewsML toolkit. The demo explorer
          > application processes IPTC NewsML documents but will not process
          > Reuters NewsML documents. As far as I can tell this is because of
          > the slight differences in standards between the two. Could anyone
          > confirm this for me please?

          You are correct that the toolkit is designed only against the IPTC
          spec, in the interest of standardization. Perhaps someone from
          Reuters can comment on the future plans for the (pre-IPTC) Reuters
          NewsML format.

          > If this is the case then in order to process the Reuters NewsML
          > documents in Java, one would have to build an application that would
          > traverse the DOM tree and instantiate objects from this data. Is
          > this the case?

          That's one possibly approach; you could also use an event-based API
          like SAX, and grab the information you wanted on the way through. Yet
          another alternative is to create an XSLT stylesheet to transform
          Reuters pre-IPTC NewsML to IPTC NewsML, and then use the NewsML
          Toolkit directly.

          I'm glad to hear that the toolkit is working for you for IPTC NewsML,
          and I strongly encourage the members of this list to send bug reports
          and feature requests as soon as possible. We're about the start the
          second round of development, and it will be important to know users'
          priorities: for example, is automatic retrieval of external resources
          a higher or lower priority than full TopicSet support (including
          automatic resolution of DefaultVocabularyFor)? What about efficiency
          (i.e. building on top of SAX)? Automatic decoding of inline data? An
          abstract query layer? A C++ and/or Perl port? An anonymous CVS
          server where developers can see changes as soon as we check them in?
          A better demo app?

          Thanks, and all the best,

          David

          --
          David Megginson david@...
          http://www.megginson.com/
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
            Hi,

            Thanks David and Anthony for you swift replies.

            David - I will probably develop using the IPTC standard and the NewsML toolkit as I'm no XML expert.

            Anthony - I would definitely like to test the transform with the NewsML toolkit as soon as it is available.  Is there a scheduled date yet?

            thanks,
            Pete

          • Irving Levine
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
              if you are referring to the "proprietary" ReutersNewsML currently generated by
              the IDS system, you are correct. The toolkit will not process documents created
              to this standard, which is significantly different from the IPTC NewsML.
              However, pls realize that Reuters will be phasing out its proprietary
              ReutersNewsML and replace it totally with IPTC NewsML. You could get conversion
              software shortly to have this done for you, where the conversion would be
              generated at your site.
              il

              |--------+----------------------->
              | | Peter Nelson |
              | | <pete@zonegro|
              | | up.com> |
              | | |
              | | 01/05/01 |
              | | 05:38 AM |
              | | Please |
              | | respond to |
              | | newsml |
              | | |
              |--------+----------------------->
              | |
              | To: newsml@egroups.com |
              | cc: (bcc: Irving Levine/HPG/US/Reuters) |
              | Header: Internal Use Only |

              I have been trying out the NewsML toolkit. The demo explorer application
              processes IPTC NewsML documents but will not process
              Reuters NewsML documents. As far as I can tell this is because of the slight
              differences in standards between the two.
              Could anyone confirm this for me please? If this is the case then in order to
              process the Reuters NewsML documents in Java, one would have to build an
              application that would traverse the DOM tree and instantiate objects from this
              data. Is this the case?
              thanks in advance,
              Pete

              eGroups Sponsor

              the views of Reuters Ltd.
            • Jeremy D. Zawodny
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
                On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 06:15:59AM -0500, David Megginson wrote:

                > I strongly encourage the members of this list to send bug reports
                > and feature requests as soon as possible. We're about the start the
                > second round of development, and it will be important to know users'
                > priorities: for example, is automatic retrieval of external
                > resources a higher or lower priority than full TopicSet support
                > (including automatic resolution of DefaultVocabularyFor)? What
                > about efficiency (i.e. building on top of SAX)? Automatic decoding
                > of inline data? An abstract query layer? A C++ and/or Perl port?
                > An anonymous CVS server where developers can see changes as soon as
                > we check them in? A better demo app?

                I'd be a big fan of a good Perl interface and a public CVS tree. You
                could always host it on SourceForge.net and not have to worry about
                maintaining a CVS server if that's an issue.

                Jeremy
                --
                Jeremy D. Zawodny, <jzawodn@...>
                Technical Yahoo - Yahoo Finance
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 5, 2001
                  Jeremy D. Zawodny writes:

                  > I'd be a big fan of a good Perl interface and a public CVS
                  > tree. You could always host it on SourceForge.net and not have to
                  > worry about maintaining a CVS server if that's an issue.

                  One request for Perl: noted.

                  I have root access to the xmlnews.org box, so setting up an anonymous
                  CVS server wouldn't be a problem; still, letting SourceForge do all
                  the system maintenance would be nice, and their servers can take a lot
                  of hits. We've talked about using SourceForge, among other
                  possibilities, but the original sponsors (Reuters and Wavo) will have
                  to make the final decision.

                  All the best, and thanks for the comments,

                  David

                  --
                  David Megginson david@...
                  http://www.megginson.com/