NewsLines on ContentItem?

  • whbmitchell@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2000
      I just recently got involved with NewsML. I Have to congratulate
      everyone involved on, what I believe, is one of the best xml
      standards to date.

      I have some minor issues though. What about supporting NewsLines and
      even the metadata elements on ContentItem? When adding NewsML support
      to our product, I had to use Characteristics/Property elements to
      satisfy my requirements for byline, date and rights info.

      Does it not make sense to have NewsLines and Metadata elements on
      ContentItem? I don't believe it's fair to assume that all of the
      ContentItems within a NewsItem or even withing a sub-level
      NewsComponent will have the same metadata associated with them.

      Consider the case of a NewsItem with a nitf text piece
      written yesterday by "Jane Doe" (author/byline) for "XYZ News"
      (Copyright). I also have a 50 year old picture by "John Smith"(Byline)
      copyright held by the "Smithsonian Institute".

      Any comments and/or ideas will be greatly appreciated.
    • Irving Levine
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2000
        The ContentItem is meant to hold basic content, before it's been converted into
        "news". This is why the ContentItem only provides for physical metadata.
        In order to add any of the NewsLines and metadata, you should encapsulate the
        ContentItem in a NewsComponent, which allows the addition of these elements.
        irving levine
        reuters.

        whbmitchell@... on 11/01/2000 03:46:52 PM

        Please respond to newsml@egroups.com

[...]