DescriptiveMetaData Child Elements

  • Richard Hardy
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 3, 2000
      Hi,

      I am trying to form some sample NewsML based documents and am having problems with the DescriptiveMetadata element. I want to do the following:

      <DescriptiveMetaData>
          <Subject SchemeRef=iptc.subject" Name ="14">
          </Subject>
      </DescriptiveMetadata>

      However, when I try to validate this against the NewsML DTD XmlSpy informs me that the file is not valid as 'Subject' is an unexpected child element. I thought that this may be something I was doing wrong so I downloaded the MLKing example and have discovered that this suffers from exactly the same problem.

      Has anyone any ideas on what is wrong ? Is this an error in the DTD or am I missing something ?

      Thanks in advance, Eddie Wynn
    • Marius Sorin Barduta
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 3, 2000
        See below:

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 3, 2000
          Thanks for the hint - the missing double quote was simply a typo in the
          email - any more ideas ?

          Eddie

          > I am trying to form some sample NewsML based documents and am having
          > problems with the DescriptiveMetadata element. I want to do the following:
          >
          > <DescriptiveMetaData>
          > <Subject SchemeRef=iptc.subject" Name ="14">
          > </Subject>
          > </DescriptiveMetadata>
          >

          > Be careful, it seems that there is a sintax error in your code: a double
          > quote is missing at the beginning of the value of SchemeRef attribute:
          > Should be
          > SchemeRef="iptc.subject" not SchemeRef=iptc.subject"
          >
          > Marius

        • Ben Seivl
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 3, 2000
            Richard,

            I am trying to form some sample NewsML based documents and am having
            problems with the DescriptiveMetadata element. I want to do the following:

            <DescriptiveMetaData>
            <Subject SchemeRef=iptc.subject" Name ="14">
            </Subject>
            </DescriptiveMetadata>

            Based on the latest DTD it appears both 'SchemeRef' and 'Name' have been
            superceded.
            Perhaps you should try using Scheme and FormalName.

            <DescriptiveMetaData>
            <Subject Scheme="iptc.subject" FormalName ="14">
            </Subject>
            </DescriptiveMetadata>

            Regards,
            Ben Seivl.

            the views of Reuters Ltd.
          • Thomas LECHAPTOIS
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 3, 2000
              la CPR a achete 145 Kobra, le soft sur lequel je travaille
              au fait tu te casses quand de la CPR ?
            • Richard Hardy
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 3, 2000
                Hi,

                Thanks for your help with this, I think I have now found the answer, the
                DescriptiveMetaData element is specified as:

                DescriptiveMetadata sequence of

                %assignment (Mandatory Element)
                Language
                Genre
                Subject
                OfInterestTo
                References
                Property

                DescriptiveMetaData attribute list

                Name

                So, in terms of the XML code this needs to be:

                <DescriptiveMetadata>
                <AssignedBy>
                <Party>
                <PersonRef Person="Duid1"></PersonRef>
                </Party>
                </AssignedBy>

                <!--Could also have Confidence,, Importance, HowPresent elements-->

                <Subject SchemeRef="iptc.subject" Name="10"></Subject>
                </DescriptiveMetadata>

                If I use this syntax the document gets validated successfully, therefore
                there is an error in the MLKing example currently available on the website
                that should be corrected at some point in the future.

                Best Regards, Eddie Wynn

                > I am trying to form some sample NewsML based documents and am having
                > problems with the DescriptiveMetadata element. I want to do the following:
                >
                > <DescriptiveMetaData>
                > <Subject SchemeRef=iptc.subject" Name ="14">
                > </Subject>
                > </DescriptiveMetadata>
                >
                > Based on the latest DTD it appears both 'SchemeRef' and 'Name' have been
                > superceded.
                > Perhaps you should try using Scheme and FormalName.
                >
                > <DescriptiveMetaData>
                > <Subject Scheme="iptc.subject" FormalName ="14">
                > </Subject>
                > </DescriptiveMetadata>
                >
                > Regards,
                > Ben Seivl.

                > Visit our Internet site at http://www.reuters.com

                > sender, except where the sender specifically states them to be
                > the views of Reuters Ltd.

              • Thomas LECHAPTOIS
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 3, 2000
                  Please ignore my previous post, it is an error.
                  Sorry about this.

                  Thomas

                  From: "Thomas LECHAPTOIS" <thomas.lechaptois@...> on 03/10/2000 15:17

                  Please respond to newsml@egroups.com