Re: Adding a contributor photo to a NewsML 1.x data feed

  • g_montel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
      Dear Takahiro

      Thanks for your quick answer !

      I'm sorry but I can't see how I can add the contributor *photo* in a <Contributor>

      Can you give me an example ?

      Thanks a lot, best regards

      Geoffroy

      --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "fujiwatjp" <fujiwat0601@...> wrote:

      > Hi Geoff,
      >
      > You can use <Contributor> in NewsML1.2
      > See
      > http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/newsml12/e-ns2_Contributor-1.html
      >
      > Regards,
      > Takahiro Fujiwara
      > Former Vice Chair of NewsML1 Working Party, IPTC..
      >
      > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hello,
      > >
      > > I'm new to NewsML.
      > > I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.
      > >
      > > <AdministrativeMetadata>
      > > <Creator>
      > > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
      > > </Creator>
      > > </AdministrativeMetadata>
      > >
      > > What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?
      > >
      > > Many thanks for your help, best regards
      > >
      > > Geoffroy Montel

    • Jayson
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
        You could use the Topic attribute to reference a Topic for the person:

        In the NewsML you add a catalog, reference, containing references to your Topicsets of Topics

        <NewsML Version="1.2">
        <Catalog Href="http://www.example.com/topics/ExampleCatalog.xml"/>

        In in say and Editor's Topicset you have a topic for this person

        <Topic Duid="ed1">
        <TopicType Scheme="ExampleTopicType" FormalName="Editor"/>
        <FormalName Scheme="Editors">Geoffroy Montel</FormalName>
        <Description>Geoffroy Montel is an editor</Description></Topic>
        <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
        </Topic>

        Then in the Contributor you can add a reference to the Topic:

        <Contributor>
        <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor" Topic="http://www.example.com/topics/topicset-editors.xml#ed1"/>
        </Contributor>

        or just add the property like in the Topic directly to the Party element, if this person is not regular enough to warrant a Topic

        <Contributor>
        <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor">
        <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
        </Party>
        </Contributor>

        These photo properties are of course pretty much custom so the recipient of your NewsML will need to be aware of them, I mean the notion of a Photo property for a Party or Topic is custom, not the Property element.

        Hope that helps

        --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@...> wrote:

        > Dear Takahiro
        >
        > Thanks for your quick answer !
        >
        > I'm sorry but I can't see how I can add the contributor *photo* in a <Contributor>
        >
        > Can you give me an example ?
        >
        > Thanks a lot, best regards
        >
        > Geoffroy
        >
        > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "fujiwatjp" <fujiwat0601@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Geoff,
        > >
        > > You can use <Contributor> in NewsML1.2
        > > See
        > > http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/newsml12/e-ns2_Contributor-1.html
        > >
        > > Regards,
        > > Takahiro Fujiwara
        > > Former Vice Chair of NewsML1 Working Party, IPTC..
        > >
        > > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Hello,
        > > >
        > > > I'm new to NewsML.
        > > > I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.
        > > >
        > > > <AdministrativeMetadata>
        > > > <Creator>
        > > > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
        > > > </Creator>
        > > > </AdministrativeMetadata>
        > > >
        > > > What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?
        > > >
        > > > Many thanks for your help, best regards
        > > >
        > > > Geoffroy Montel

      • g_montel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
          Hi

          > You could use the Topic attribute to reference a Topic for the person:
          >
          > In the NewsML you add a catalog, reference, containing references to your Topicsets of Topics

          [...]
          > or just add the property like in the Topic directly to the Party element, if this person is not regular enough to warrant a Topic
          >

          > <Contributor>
          > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor">
          > <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
          > </Party>
          > </Contributor>

          [...]
          > Hope that helps

          It surely does !!

          Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for !

          All the best

          Geoffroy