Re: Adding a contributor photo to a NewsML 1.x data feed

  • fujiwatjp
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 24, 2012
      Hi Geoff,

      You can use <Contributor> in NewsML1.2
      See
      http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/newsml12/e-ns2_Contributor-1.html

      Regards,
      Takahiro Fujiwara
      Former Vice Chair of NewsML1 Working Party, IPTC..

      --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm new to NewsML.
      > I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.
      >
      > <AdministrativeMetadata>
      > <Creator>
      > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
      > </Creator>
      > </AdministrativeMetadata>
      >
      > What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?
      >
      > Many thanks for your help, best regards
      >
      > Geoffroy Montel

    • g_montel
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
        Dear Takahiro

        Thanks for your quick answer !

        I'm sorry but I can't see how I can add the contributor *photo* in a <Contributor>

        Can you give me an example ?

        Thanks a lot, best regards

        Geoffroy

        --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "fujiwatjp" <fujiwat0601@...> wrote:

        > Hi Geoff,
        >
        > You can use <Contributor> in NewsML1.2
        > See
        > http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/newsml12/e-ns2_Contributor-1.html
        >
        > Regards,
        > Takahiro Fujiwara
        > Former Vice Chair of NewsML1 Working Party, IPTC..
        >
        > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I'm new to NewsML.
        > > I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.
        > >
        > > <AdministrativeMetadata>
        > > <Creator>
        > > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
        > > </Creator>
        > > </AdministrativeMetadata>
        > >
        > > What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?
        > >
        > > Many thanks for your help, best regards
        > >
        > > Geoffroy Montel

      • Jayson
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
          You could use the Topic attribute to reference a Topic for the person:

          In the NewsML you add a catalog, reference, containing references to your Topicsets of Topics

          <NewsML Version="1.2">
          <Catalog Href="http://www.example.com/topics/ExampleCatalog.xml"/>

          In in say and Editor's Topicset you have a topic for this person

          <Topic Duid="ed1">
          <TopicType Scheme="ExampleTopicType" FormalName="Editor"/>
          <FormalName Scheme="Editors">Geoffroy Montel</FormalName>
          <Description>Geoffroy Montel is an editor</Description></Topic>
          <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
          </Topic>

          Then in the Contributor you can add a reference to the Topic:

          <Contributor>
          <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor" Topic="http://www.example.com/topics/topicset-editors.xml#ed1"/>
          </Contributor>

          or just add the property like in the Topic directly to the Party element, if this person is not regular enough to warrant a Topic

          <Contributor>
          <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor">
          <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
          </Party>
          </Contributor>

          These photo properties are of course pretty much custom so the recipient of your NewsML will need to be aware of them, I mean the notion of a Photo property for a Party or Topic is custom, not the Property element.

          Hope that helps

          --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@...> wrote:

          > Dear Takahiro
          >
          > Thanks for your quick answer !
          >
          > I'm sorry but I can't see how I can add the contributor *photo* in a <Contributor>
          >
          > Can you give me an example ?
          >
          > Thanks a lot, best regards
          >
          > Geoffroy
          >
          > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "fujiwatjp" <fujiwat0601@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi Geoff,
          > >
          > > You can use <Contributor> in NewsML1.2
          > > See
          > > http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/newsml12/e-ns2_Contributor-1.html
          > >
          > > Regards,
          > > Takahiro Fujiwara
          > > Former Vice Chair of NewsML1 Working Party, IPTC..
          > >
          > > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > I'm new to NewsML.
          > > > I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.
          > > >
          > > > <AdministrativeMetadata>
          > > > <Creator>
          > > > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
          > > > </Creator>
          > > > </AdministrativeMetadata>
          > > >
          > > > What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?
          > > >
          > > > Many thanks for your help, best regards
          > > >
          > > > Geoffroy Montel

        • g_montel
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
            Hi

            > You could use the Topic attribute to reference a Topic for the person:
            >
            > In the NewsML you add a catalog, reference, containing references to your Topicsets of Topics

            [...]
            > or just add the property like in the Topic directly to the Party element, if this person is not regular enough to warrant a Topic
            >

            > <Contributor>
            > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor">
            > <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
            > </Party>
            > </Contributor>

            [...]
            > Hope that helps

            It surely does !!

            Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for !

            All the best

            Geoffroy