Adding a contributor photo to a NewsML 1.x data feed

  • g_montel
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2012
      Hello,

      I'm new to NewsML.
      I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.

      <AdministrativeMetadata>
      <Creator>
      <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
      </Creator>
      </AdministrativeMetadata>

      What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?

      Many thanks for your help, best regards

      Geoffroy Montel
    • fujiwatjp
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2012
        Hi Geoff,

        You can use <Contributor> in NewsML1.2
        See
        http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/newsml12/e-ns2_Contributor-1.html

        Regards,
        Takahiro Fujiwara
        Former Vice Chair of NewsML1 Working Party, IPTC..

        --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm new to NewsML.
        > I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.
        >
        > <AdministrativeMetadata>
        > <Creator>
        > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
        > </Creator>
        > </AdministrativeMetadata>
        >
        > What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?
        >
        > Many thanks for your help, best regards
        >
        > Geoffroy Montel

      • g_montel
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
          Dear Takahiro

          Thanks for your quick answer !

          I'm sorry but I can't see how I can add the contributor *photo* in a <Contributor>

          Can you give me an example ?

          Thanks a lot, best regards

          Geoffroy

          --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "fujiwatjp" <fujiwat0601@...> wrote:

          > Hi Geoff,
          >
          > You can use <Contributor> in NewsML1.2
          > See
          > http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/newsml12/e-ns2_Contributor-1.html
          >
          > Regards,
          > Takahiro Fujiwara
          > Former Vice Chair of NewsML1 Working Party, IPTC..
          >
          > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > I'm new to NewsML.
          > > I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.
          > >
          > > <AdministrativeMetadata>
          > > <Creator>
          > > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
          > > </Creator>
          > > </AdministrativeMetadata>
          > >
          > > What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?
          > >
          > > Many thanks for your help, best regards
          > >
          > > Geoffroy Montel

        • Jayson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
            You could use the Topic attribute to reference a Topic for the person:

            In the NewsML you add a catalog, reference, containing references to your Topicsets of Topics

            <NewsML Version="1.2">
            <Catalog Href="http://www.example.com/topics/ExampleCatalog.xml"/>

            In in say and Editor's Topicset you have a topic for this person

            <Topic Duid="ed1">
            <TopicType Scheme="ExampleTopicType" FormalName="Editor"/>
            <FormalName Scheme="Editors">Geoffroy Montel</FormalName>
            <Description>Geoffroy Montel is an editor</Description></Topic>
            <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
            </Topic>

            Then in the Contributor you can add a reference to the Topic:

            <Contributor>
            <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor" Topic="http://www.example.com/topics/topicset-editors.xml#ed1"/>
            </Contributor>

            or just add the property like in the Topic directly to the Party element, if this person is not regular enough to warrant a Topic

            <Contributor>
            <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor">
            <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
            </Party>
            </Contributor>

            These photo properties are of course pretty much custom so the recipient of your NewsML will need to be aware of them, I mean the notion of a Photo property for a Party or Topic is custom, not the Property element.

            Hope that helps

            --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@...> wrote:

            > Dear Takahiro
            >
            > Thanks for your quick answer !
            >
            > I'm sorry but I can't see how I can add the contributor *photo* in a <Contributor>
            >
            > Can you give me an example ?
            >
            > Thanks a lot, best regards
            >
            > Geoffroy
            >
            > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "fujiwatjp" <fujiwat0601@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Hi Geoff,
            > >
            > > You can use <Contributor> in NewsML1.2
            > > See
            > > http://www.schemacentral.com/sc/newsml12/e-ns2_Contributor-1.html
            > >
            > > Regards,
            > > Takahiro Fujiwara
            > > Former Vice Chair of NewsML1 Working Party, IPTC..
            > >
            > > --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "g_montel" <g_montel@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Hello,
            > > >
            > > > I'm new to NewsML.
            > > > I'd like to add the photo of the contributors in the feed.
            > > >
            > > > <AdministrativeMetadata>
            > > > <Creator>
            > > > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel"/>
            > > > </Creator>
            > > > </AdministrativeMetadata>
            > > >
            > > > What would be the best way to add the URL of the Creator/contributor photo ?
            > > >
            > > > Many thanks for your help, best regards
            > > >
            > > > Geoffroy Montel

          • g_montel
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012
              Hi

              > You could use the Topic attribute to reference a Topic for the person:
              >
              > In the NewsML you add a catalog, reference, containing references to your Topicsets of Topics

              [...]
              > or just add the property like in the Topic directly to the Party element, if this person is not regular enough to warrant a Topic
              >

              > <Contributor>
              > <Party FormalName="Geoffroy Montel" Scheme="Editor">
              > <Property FormalName="photo" Value="http://example.com/photos/geoff.png"/>
              > </Party>
              > </Contributor>

              [...]
              > Hope that helps

              It surely does !!

              Thanks a lot, that's exactly what I was looking for !

              All the best

              Geoffroy