Get grips on IPTC NewsCodes vocabularies: use the G2 Scheme Browser

  • Michael Steidl (IPTC)
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 28, 2011

      Group:

      A couple of IPTC NewsCodes are crucial for getting NewsML 1 working: the type of NewsItems or Topics, the publishing status, Confidence, Importance or Relevance, the Roles of properties .... They are available on the IPTC server but we heard that many of the users would like to have them available locally too.

      Now we have what you want and need:

      Today the IPTC has made publicly available the IPTC G2 Scheme Browser software.

      This Java software lets a user download the IPTC NewsCodes vocabularies – including Subject Codes, Media Topics, Genre, Scene and many more - from the IPTC web server – always the latest version – and to view and manage them locally on a computer. The NewsCodes are available as G2 Knowledge Item first but the package also includes XSLT files for transforming the NewsCodes into other widely used formats like CSV and RDF (XML and Turtle).

      Please download this latest version of the Scheme Browser - http://iptc.org/goto?g2schemebrowser – and also invite other adopters of IPTC NewsCodes to make use of this software.

      Any comments and feedback can be sent to this Yahoo group or to the email address schemebrowser@... . The IPTC and the developers of the tool at dpa-mediatec will consider your input.

      Enjoy the tool.

      Michael

      Michael Steidl

      Managing Director of the IPTC [mdirector@...]

      Web:
      www.iptc.org - on Twitter @IPTC

      Business office address:

      20 Garrick Street, London WC2E 9BT, United Kingdom

      Registered in England, company no 101096