How to Convey Video Aspect Ratio in NewsML 1.2?

  • smyles77
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
      Hello,

      How do I convey characteristics of videos within NewsML 1.2?

      For example, let's say I want to convey the aspect ratio (e.g. "16:9"). Do I make this a Property element within the Characteristics?

      So, something like

      <Characteristics>
      <Property FormalName="AspectRatio" Value="16:9">
      </Characteristics>

      Does anyone else do this (or something similar)?

      Thanks in advance for any help.

      Regards,

      Stuart
    • Jayson
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
        We (BW) do pretty much as you outlined, and use Characteristics/Property for describing multimedia outside of the few elements available to describe media (e.g. SizeInBytes, MimeType, Format etc.) We do not, however, identify the aspect ratio (should we?).

        For an example roll over the thumbnail on this page

        http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20100707005626/en/Liberty-Mutual-Launches-%E2%80%9CResponsibility-Project-Win%E2%80%9D-Contest

        The data to create the links for the various formats comes from a combination of the NewsML elements and our own Property elements. Here is the NewsComponent for that video:

        <NewsComponent>
        <Role FormalName="Video"/>
        <BasisForChoice Rank="1">./ContentItem/Format</BasisForChoice>
        <BasisForChoice Rank="2">./ContentItem/MimeType</BasisForChoice>
        <BasisForChoice Rank="3">./ContentItem/Characteristics/Property</BasisForChoice>
        <NewsLines>
        <HeadLine>Zach Bonner and The "Responsibility Project For the Win"</HeadLine>
        </NewsLines>
        <DescriptiveMetadata>
        <Language FormalName="en"/>
        <Property FormalName="Rank" Value="1"/>
        </DescriptiveMetadata>
        <ContentItem Duid="c27481638" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&vid=2">
        <Format FormalName="JPEG Baseline"/>
        <MimeType FormalName="image/jpeg"/>
        <Characteristics>
        <SizeInBytes>25370</SizeInBytes>
        <Property FormalName="ImageUse" Value="Thumbnail"/>
        <Property FormalName="PixelWidth" Value="72"/>
        <Property FormalName="PixelHeight" Value="57"/>
        </Characteristics>
        </ContentItem>
        <ContentItem Duid="c27481639" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&vid=3">
        <Format FormalName="JPEG Baseline"/>
        <MimeType FormalName="image/jpeg"/>
        <Characteristics>
        <SizeInBytes>33398</SizeInBytes>
        <Property FormalName="ImageUse" Value="Viewimage"/>
        <Property FormalName="PixelWidth" Value="144"/>
        <Property FormalName="PixelHeight" Value="114"/>
        </Characteristics>
        </ContentItem>
        <ContentItem Duid="c27481640" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&vid=10">
        <Format FormalName="Windows Media Video"/>
        <MimeType FormalName="video/x-ms-wmv"/>
        <Characteristics>
        <SizeInBytes>8815011</SizeInBytes>
        <Property FormalName="MultiMediaUse" Value="Dialup"/>
        </Characteristics>
        </ContentItem>
        <ContentItem Duid="c27481641" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&vid=11">
        <Format FormalName="Windows Media Video"/>
        <MimeType FormalName="video/x-ms-wmv"/>
        <Characteristics>
        <SizeInBytes>23318419</SizeInBytes>
        <Property FormalName="MultiMediaUse" Value="Broadband"/>
        </Characteristics>
        </ContentItem>
        <ContentItem Duid="c27481642" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&vid=12">
        <Format FormalName="Quicktime"/>
        <MimeType FormalName="video/quicktime"/>
        <Characteristics>
        <SizeInBytes>7844825</SizeInBytes>
        <ContentItem Duid="c27481643" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&vid=13">
        <Format FormalName="Quicktime"/>
        <MimeType FormalName="video/quicktime"/>
        <Characteristics>
        <SizeInBytes>20475803</SizeInBytes>
        <Property FormalName="MultiMediaUse" Value="Broadband"/>
        </Characteristics>
        </ContentItem>
        <ContentItem Duid="c27481644" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&vid=17">
        <Format FormalName="Flash Video"/>
        <MimeType FormalName="video/x-flv"/>
        <Characteristics>
        <SizeInBytes>24010580</SizeInBytes>
        <Property FormalName="MultiMediaUse" Value="Broadband"/>
        </Characteristics>
        </ContentItem>
        </NewsComponent>

        Not that this answers your question, just throwing this out there for maybe similar questions or ...

        Evan (if he follows this list) might (probably) has or had this in the EBU NewsML.

        --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "smyles77" <stuart.myles@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > How do I convey characteristics of videos within NewsML 1.2?
        >
        > For example, let's say I want to convey the aspect ratio (e.g. "16:9"). Do I make this a Property element within the Characteristics?
        >
        > So, something like
        >
        > <Characteristics>
        > <Property FormalName="AspectRatio" Value="16:9">
        > </Characteristics>
        >
        > Does anyone else do this (or something similar)?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for any help.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Stuart

      • Stuart Myles
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
          Thanks for the confirmation, Jayson!  If you guys do it that way, that is good enough for me.

          Regards,

          Stuart

          <ContentItem Duid="c27481638" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&amp;vid=2">
          <ContentItem Duid="c27481639" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&amp;vid=3">
          <ContentItem Duid="c27481640" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&amp;vid=10">
          <ContentItem Duid="c27481641" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&amp;vid=11">
          <ContentItem Duid="c27481642" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&amp;vid=12">
          <ContentItem Duid="c27481643" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&amp;vid=13">
          <ContentItem Duid="c27481644" Href="http://mms.businesswire.com/bwapps/mediaserver/ViewMedia?mgid=234857&amp;vid=17">
          <Format FormalName="Flash Video"/>
          <MimeType FormalName="video/x-flv"/>
          <Characteristics>
          <SizeInBytes>24010580</SizeInBytes>
          <Property FormalName="MultiMediaUse" Value="Broadband"/>
          </Characteristics>
          </ContentItem>
          </NewsComponent>

          Not that this answers your question, just throwing this out there for maybe similar questions or ...

          Evan (if he follows this list) might (probably) has or had this in the EBU NewsML.

          --- In newsml@yahoogroups.com, "smyles77" <stuart.myles@...> wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > How do I convey characteristics of videos within NewsML 1.2?
          >
          > For example, let's say I want to convey the aspect ratio (e.g. "16:9"). Do I make this a Property element within the Characteristics?
          >
          > So, something like
          >
          > <Characteristics>
          > <Property FormalName="AspectRatio" Value="16:9">
          > </Characteristics>
          >
          > Does anyone else do this (or something similar)?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for any help.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Stuart

        • Takahiro FUJIWARA EAST藤原隆弘
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
            Hi Jayson and Stuart,
            As you know, NewsML is pretty expendable format.  Therefore "best practice" web page is really useful for every NewsML user.
          • Stuart Myles
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
              Hi Takahiro,

              > As you know, NewsML is pretty expendable format.

              I believe you mean that NewsML is a pretty *expandable* format - open to expansion in various ways.  (See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/expand)

              An expendable format would be one that can be discarded after a single use or perhaps one that isn't worth saving (See http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/expendable).

              <insert joke here about NewsML1.2 and NewsML-G2>

              Regards,

              Stuart

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2010
                Hi Stuart,
                Thank you for the correction.  It was typo.
                I learnt new word, expend.

                Regards,
                Takahiro

                Hi Takahiro,